Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Apliquick >

Apliquick

Apliquick

Old 06-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

There are excellent fabric scissors available and cut fine but have the same regular shape handles. The appliqick scissors have three rings for your fingers The shape of the handle is better for my hands for cutting shapes. I can tell a big difference in how my hands feel using them.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:18 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I had not heard of this product. I do mostly machine applique and I am sticking with Heat & Bond lite.
Me too! Our LQS has an applique master who ran several classes before covid. We are working on a 12 block monthly quilt. She cut pieces of fabric that matched the pattern in the book so we were ready to applique under her guidance. Beyond the class I use applique in many other projects like pillows and table runners. I like it because it is the crafting that I like to learn. Many of my quilting friends are into the embroidery machines. They are producing beautiful designs but that is not for me. The machines are pricey and just sitting and monitoring the machine is not engaging for me. So I like both machine and hand applique. And I use Heat n Bond.

Last edited by pbraun; 06-15-2021 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Sharon Schamber has an excellent backing for applique for needle turn or machine applique. No adhesive. It is Sharon's Secret Foundation. I works great with Apliquick.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:26 AM

I have been doing needle turn for several years and when I saw a demo of apliquick I was impressed, but I didn't care for the feel of of the edges. I don't like the fusible paper at all.
I have a Lobster fork, sometimes called a seafood fork that I use to hold the appliques down. I take an old knitting needle to do my turning. If I am going to do a lot of pieces, I make a template out of template material that can be ironed on. I use liquid starch to hold the turn down, press with a dry iron. Once I have all my pieces turned. I have used Roxanne's Glue to hold it in place. Elmer glue with a small tip will do the same job. I find their are lots of gadget a person can buy, but most don't work any better than what you already have. Scissors, Prof. Kai.
If I am doing a lot of big pieces, I use the interfacing method. Baste interfacing to the right side of the fabric, once seams are stitches, cut hole in interfacing to turn. Press with steam, remove the interfacing and stitch in place. Be sure all your edges stay in place, sometimes you have to take a little glue to the sharp curves to hold in place.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I use to use the interfacing method before I discovered Apliquick. And I used the sea food fork too but it's nothing like the applique tool, looks like it but there is a difference. Now I can have the edges turned faster then sewing the interfacing to the fabric. It took a few projects to learn, but I stuck with it and now I'm so glad I did. I was comfortable doing applique my old way and thought why change. I almost didn't try the Apliquick thinking it was for serious applique people.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:00 PM

So, what’s the trick to using Apliquick and parchment paper to make really small circles?
Old 06-15-2021, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

So, what’s the trick to using Apliquick and parchment paper to make really small circles?

If your circle is not perfectly round you can put it on parchment paper and 'scoop it' to be perfect. The parchment keep the glue from sticking to anything but the fabric. I think watching a demo or taking a class is the best way to learn how to use the tools. Pivoting with the fork tool and turning with the flat tool at the same time is the main thing.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-15-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:48 AM

I recently started using their products and really enjoy them. It is a little hard to use the tools at first but once you get the hang of it its fine. It does make a stiffer product. I'm not sure if I would use it on quilt for a bed but for wall hangings, table runners, etc it's fine. They do get softer as your wash them. I've only washed things like once so I can't tell you how soft it gets over time. I buy the stabilizer on amazon. It is a little pricey. I just use sewline glue sticks. The turner tools are a bit expensive too but they'll last you a lifetime.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

A guild member used the Apliquick stabilizer and glue for a heavily appliqued bed quilt. She washes her quilts like Sharon Schamber and the quilt is very soft. All her quilts feel like butter. If you haven't seen SS washing method be ready to be blown away. If you don't know about Sharon, all you need to know is she wins every quilt competition she enters. She won the $100,000 best quilt award, many Houston and AQS Best in Show awards, and many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DNr_zu234&t=308s

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-17-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:41 AM

Very cool!