Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sweet 16 Stitch Regulator Table >

Sweet 16 Stitch Regulator Table

Sweet 16 Stitch Regulator Table

Old 06-27-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Sweet 16 Stitch Regulator Table

Hello again!
Does anyone here use the new HandiQuilter Sweet 16 table with the built in stitch regulator? How does it work compared to the Tru Stitch??

I am using a HQ Sweet 16 with the Tru Stitch (manual) stitch regulator. I am very intrigued with the table and wonder if it would be worth the dollars to switch tables just for the regulator.

Thanks for your input. You quilters are always a valuable resource.

Grammahunt
Old 06-27-2021, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

My dealer was telling me about it recently. Basically, it replaces the stitch regulator, getting rid of the puck. Some find it an annoyance, and some don't have issues with it. Plus the control box is gone. Again some have had issues with it being in the way, shifting around or even falling. I solved that with velcroing it to the side of the S16 at the back edge of the table.

So ... if you are happy with what you have, then no reason to replace it.

If considering the table, you'd probably be best to try one out at a dealer or show, to really know if this investment is one for you!

For me, I have a love/hate relationship with the puck. But to be honest, I don't think I have enough of a hate for it in comparison to the price of the new table!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:07 PM

I like the new table when the stitch regulator is set on the "cruise" setting. In other words, it keeps stitching when you come to a stop. You can adjust how fast or slow it keeps stitching. But on the "precision" setting, it skips a stitch every time you stop and start. It hasn't been perfected yet. Maybe in a couple years, they may figure out how to make that work correctly. But for now, the cruise setting works great, but the precision setting doesn't.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:51 AM

I upgraded to the new table last month and am very happy that I did so. I quilt a lot of large quilts and use rulers combined with freehand work and really got tired of moving the puck constantly to keep it from getting in the way of my rulers or getting too close to the edge of the table, etc. For me, upgrading to the Insight table was money well spent.

I never used the precision setting on the True stitch version because it never worked well with my Sweet Sixteen and I prefer Cruise. I was in the middle of stitching a large quilt using both rulers and freehand work when my new Insight table arrived, so I set it up immediately and finished the quilt on it. I can tell you that the difference between trying to get that quilt finished using the old true stitch puck and the Insight table was huge. I found it to be much easier to manage the bulk of the quilt and get good consistent results on the new table, not to mention that it was way more relaxing to just be able to quilt without having to remember to keep track of where the puck was.

Since then, I’ve also made two small whole cloth quilts using rulers. They are both small enough that if I’d been using the old system with the puck I would have needed to reposition the puck every time I changed the angle of my rulers to avoid having it interfere with ruler placement. It was a joy to be able to just quilt those two quilts without having to stop every couple of seconds to move the puck around.

For me, the only downsides to the new table are that it is a bit of a pain to put together because it takes time to get the machine leveled up. Also, the old style extensions do not work with the new table, so if you want extensions, you will have to buy the ones that are made for the Insight table.

I’m glad I upgraded and consider it to be money well spent. Your experience may be different.

Rob
Old 06-28-2021, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Thanks RRyder ... for your IRL experiential report! To get through this heat wave, I'll be giving my S16 a good workout, and will be thinking of your comments as I work away.

Question ... I am thinking the extensions do not have any technical connection to the Insight Table. Or is there a reason (other than convenience) to purchase them, verses siding up to another table on each end? In my case, I have a table to the right already, and the left extension could be the old S16 table.

Another Q ... Is the control box now built into the table? Or is it still on the loose?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks RRyder ... for your IRL experiential report! To get through this heat wave, I'll be giving my S16 a good workout, and will be thinking of your comments as I work away.

Question ... I am thinking the extensions do not have any technical connection to the Insight Table. Or is there a reason (other than convenience) to purchase them, verses siding up to another table on each end? In my case, I have a table to the right already, and the left extension could be the old S16 table.

Another Q ... Is the control box now built into the table? Or is it still on the loose?

Thanks!

Hi Quilte,
no reason to get the new extensions if you have room for the old table to one side and you’ve already got a table on the other side. The electronic stuff does not connect to the extensions, they are for convenience only.

there is no separate controller for the new table. When you order it you will receive two packages in the shipment. The table has a cutout to fit either the Sweet Sixteen or the Capris. So the first package is the table and the second package is an insert that fits around your machine. So you need to specify that you need the Sweet Sixteen insert. The insert has all the electronics built in on the underside so your entire tabletop is completely smooth with nothing sitting on top.

stay cool and happy quilting!

Rob

Old 06-30-2021, 12:26 PM

if you are happy with what you have, then no reason to replace it.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:50 AM

if you are happy with what you have, then no reason to replace it.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
Old 07-13-2021, 07:36 AM

Thank you everyone. Perfect.

Grammahunt