Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift >

Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift

Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift

Old 06-27-2021, 02:04 PM

Default Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift

I am new to sewing machines (had some experience with them throughout home ech. but they were a different breed than what I currently have). I am trying to make sure that I do get the correct oil and lubricants for it. I want to make sure that I don’t break it or ruin it, the recipient before me said that it has been given as a gift through it’s life for those that are in need and have the heart to want to create projects for their family etc. I don’t know if there is a difference in the oil from when it was made 1951, to current oil on market for Singer. I am having a problem looking for the Singer motor lubricant other than through eBay and Etsy, both the items have been previously used, and I am wondering if that would effect anything if I had to go through secondhand items. Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:19 PM

You have been given a great gift! My daughter works on machines and discovered the 301 early in her work. She gave me one for a Christmas gift and I love it. Most people use Tri-Flow oil for all their vintage machines. It is highly recommended. If you can't find it at a sewing store locally, try a bicycle shop, as they use it as well. If not, you can always order it from Amazon.

Congratulations on your new machine!
Old 06-27-2021, 06:51 PM

Great suggestion! Tri-flow comes as an oil and as a grease. You can probably find them at an auto parts store.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:01 PM

Also, look up Andy Tube on You Tube. He has several 301 tutorials so you can learn to do maintenance on your own machine.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:03 PM

I like Zoom Spout by Dritz for the oil, it has a telescoping applicator. I use Petroleum Jelly as a the lube for the gears.
The 301 is a very nice machine. Mine seems to run well when oiled every 4-6 hours of sewing time.

Note: hold the thread tails when you start a seam, otherwise it will unthread itself at the needle. When you remove the needle plate to clean out the lint, when reinstalling, be sure to put the "finger" back into the notch on the needle plate.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:01 AM

Default Thank you all for sharing your advice

Thank you all for sharing your recommendations for oils and I appreciate your help with keeping this beauty going on strong. I am enamored by the quality of the machine has made it very accommodating to start a new chapter of a hobby that I have been thrilled to attempt. So far has helped me create some window curtains that I will slowly add more to, just happy to find out how versatile it is for the cabinet version and light it is even though it has such an amazing amount of things that it can help me create. I am so happy to hear your selections and where ideally to find it as well, I can understand how it was the renovation and new design that has been cherished by those that had the opportunity to even use or chance to have. Thank you for the recommendation for tutorials on YouTube as well, I will be looking forward to seeing what to learn and how to maintenance such an amazing item. Wishing you all the best, and hope you have a great week. I already started a list on Amazon just for her, so far just threads, cleaning brushes, glass pipettes, and I can’t wait to engross myself with this new hobby!
Old 06-28-2021, 05:11 AM

I'm very envious! Been looking for a 301 for a long time but too cheap to pay what most folks ask. Sigh. One day! Enjoy your new toy.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:19 AM

Welcome to QB. Congratulations on 301. It is a great machine. Do you have a manual for your machine? There is a great site about them at http://singer301.com/limited/default.html.

I think you will find that Tri-flow oil or the Dritz Zoom spout or AlbaChem Zoom Lily White are all good for oiling. While Tri-Flow grease is good for the gears, it is Not for the motor. As for what to use for the motor, there are contradictory views. Some say Vaseline Petroleum Jelly is fine (but is messy to use) and yet others say SEW-Retro Grease, Motor & Gear Lubricant is what should be used (and is easier to use). The modern Singer lubricant should not be used for the motor, either.
Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-28-2021, 07:26 AM

YOu may want to check to make sure your 301 has a genuine Simanco bobbin case for it. They often get replaced by aftermarket ones that aren't as good. It fits the Featherweight too.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:50 PM

I have my mother's 301 which is also the machine I learned to sew on. It's a really nice machine. I use the same sewing machine oil that I use on my other machines. Some of it is from Bernina and some is Zoom Spout. It all seems to work for all my machines. Good luck and enjoy your 301