Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift >

Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift

Someone gave me a Singer 301 as a gift

Old 06-29-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Some answers and a lot of appreciation

I did receive the manual that came with it, along with three bobbins that look to be original (a tiny rust on one cylinder but it is overall still good shape
​​​​​​) and look similar to the ones within the manuals images. I was also informed that I had to never purchase unless absolutely certain the bobbin was in fact for this model because it could ruin the machine. I also have a few more of the needles too and looks like it was from the same time and she has informed me that I can’t just go online to use the newer needles because they are not built the same. She was amazing with her knowledge of what to look for she informed me to look for Schmitz brand needles and I believe through Etsy I will be able to get them, tried it on eBay and was outbid on a selection so will keep an eye on that site too. She informed me that I had to be certain that SIMANCO USA was also printed on the items too or it was just another item that was created after and not compatible so I am sort of understanding what to look out for.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:28 AM

The 301 uses the modern class of needles, Schmetz being one producer. Organ brand are also nice. You can find these on a variety of websites, at your local quilt shop (lqs), and even at nationwide fabric stores.

The important thing is to match the type of fabric to the type of needle. Sharps, or Schmetz microtex, are for woven cottons, quilting cottons, shirting cottons. Ball Point needles are for knit fabrics, like t shirt knits.

Then, you'll want to match size (thickness) of needle for intended purpose and thread size.

For instance, if mending denim jeans, a size 16 needle. For making quilts, an 11 or a 12. I also prefer 11 or 12 for shirtings.

For knits, ball point needles are commonly available in size 14, but I find modern knits generally thinner, and often search for a 12 ball point.

Now, to thread size, I am not well versed. While your 301 can use a size 16 needle, I am not sure if it could handle a matched weight thread in the bobbin case.

But generally, for most household sewing, an all cotton thread in 40 or 50 weight will do just fine, top and bottom.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:58 PM

Default Thank you for pointing out the differences

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
The 301 uses the modern class of needles, Schmetz being one producer. Organ brand are also nice. You can find these on a variety of websites, at your local quilt shop (lqs), and even at nationwide fabric stores.

The important thing is to match the type of fabric to the type of needle. Sharps, or Schmetz microtex, are for woven cottons, quilting cottons, shirting cottons. Ball Point needles are for knit fabrics, like t shirt knits.

Then, you'll want to match size (thickness) of needle for intended purpose and thread size.

For instance, if mending denim jeans, a size 16 needle. For making quilts, an 11 or a 12. I also prefer 11 or 12 for shirtings.

For knits, ball point needles are commonly available in size 14, but I find modern knits generally thinner, and often search for a 12 ball point.

Now, to thread size, I am not well versed. While your 301 can use a size 16 needle, I am not sure if it could handle a matched weight thread in the bobbin case.

But generally, for most household sewing, an all cotton thread in 40 or 50 weight will do just fine, top and bottom.
I was looking through some of the sewing needles online and I was confused with the other numbers besides the #2020 and the 15x1 and I wasn’t sure if I was going about it correctly because I am still within the first portion of the manual making sure I am seeing everything correctly and set accordingly to be able to be confident with how it is going and I have been watching some of Andy’s videos and they have been a huge help with visual understanding while reading the manual too. I was about to ask where I was going to have to post questions about it because I wasn’t sure if it what page questions about parts or the different sources of information that I want to make sure I am understanding. Now I will have to make a side note of the numbers and will put it in a bag along with the manual because that will be a great reference guide to have for all future projects
Old 07-02-2021, 01:07 PM

2020 is the same as 15*1. I think Singer used the 2020 designation.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:28 PM

i have a 301 and a 503. I use Schmetz or Organ needles in both and have for years with no problems. Some Singer enthusiasts tell you otherwise but that has definitely not been my experience and IMO is outdated information. There are after market feet that fit the Singers. They are not as good as original but will in no way harm you machine when you use them. In general, I find the vintage machines to be very "unpicky" about thread and needles. I've used all sorts on mine and never had a problem. I've also bought after market bobbins and had no problems with them.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Thank you for sharing your experience

I only have one foot and a bobbin so I am more relieved to know that it is a more forgiving machine then what I previously thought. I will be mindful of the dimensions of the parts and that I don’t have to stress over not finding any of them through as many websites as much now.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:00 PM

I use Schmetz needles on my old Singers, no problems at all. They are readily available online.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaderose.midnightdreams View Post
I only have one foot and a bobbin ....
Just make sure the feet are for slant shank. The bobbin number is 45785.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:19 PM

Default Thank you for the reminder

Thank you for reminding me, that will make it easier when I am doing research on parts and I appreciate the information too for reference. I am now getting more excited as I am near finishing the maintenance and settings. All this helps so much for options too when I get to slowly build up the accessories for it. Hope you all have a great week and enjoy the projects that you are doing.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:56 AM

Sounds good <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->singer sewing machine for beginners may be one of the basic utility skills. However, not all people can do sewing, nor have the patience and the desire to do it. With affordable RTW clothes around, people would just buy something new to wear and not bother about sewing and making their own clothes.
Fortunately, sewing and related crafts are enjoying a revival of interest even in the new millennium. Especially with the availability of a wide range of sewing machines, they have enabled the ease and convenience of sewing… and even the enjoyment of doing it.