Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021

Old 07-04-2021, 08:40 AM

It looks great! I enjoy medallion quilts.

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Working on my first ever Lone Star. Center medallion came out much smaller than anticipated (39"). So I decided to make some extras to go around the outside. This is the test fit.

Sadly I have plenty of the different grey's left. But only 12" of the green background. Fabric is from stash so can't get anymore.

I've never done a medallion before so this problem is really bending my brain. It's a puzzle!
Old 07-04-2021, 08:42 AM

You've made a lot of progress!

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
25 completed star blocks! All have the same solid blue/yellow and there are are different "Michigan" fabrics in the centers.While the heat wave broke, it is still plenty warm out there. After I got the blocks done we went for a drive midday, or tried to anyway. I thought traffic seemed rather light for a major holiday weekend, and it was -- until we got to just south of Everett where it turned into bumper-to-bumper all lanes as far as the eye could see. We made it through to the first exit we could and had a lovely drive back home.

I'll be alternating these fan blocks with a print and fans alternating blocks. So today's task and count: 256 fan blades.

I'm using what I call the Eleanor Burns rickrack technique for the fans. Have already made the "pie" pieces and cut the foundation blocks.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:43 AM

You've got lots of time

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Sunday Morning Update:
1. Finish binding on Debby Brown Quilt - Think it was February or March? Done... Picture below and it was the February DB.
2. Quilt UFO sandwiched quilt for donation - Done and trimmed for binding
3. Make binding for Quilt in #2 and get it on the quilt and finished.
4. Sew up 11 Christmas stockings for VA and cut another 12 for future mindless sewing moments.(12 of the stockings half done, doing lots of chain piecing, and finished 6. Cut the more but lost track of how many. )

I have another day to go so I just might finish the quilt! Love these long weekends. Just looked and I have TWO DAYS to go Yeah to extended long weekends.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:50 AM

Yeah! Quilting weekend! You all are on a roll...some great projects in this thread!

Yesterday I finished the quilting on a Linus project quilt, now to bind it. But my FIRST mission is to finish the 3 Boom blocks for our friendship swap! The guys are off on a Dad & Son trip to the game store this afternoon so I have about 5-6 hours by myself so work on some projects.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:34 AM

Happylab, I am planning on gifting all of the Debbie Brown quilts. I am enjoying making them as they use up lots of scraps, go together quickly and give me a large quilt to try out new quilting designs on. I think I will use up most of my 2.5” and 5” scraps this year doing these quilts and I plan on continuing to make these quick 16 patch scrappies next year using my 2” squares and my 4” squares.

Rob
Old 07-04-2021, 02:20 PM

I can't say I have made a dent in my to do list, but I am determined to finish the applique block. Hope to show you all a finish in the morning!
Happy 4th of July to everyone!
Old 07-04-2021, 02:41 PM

I'm glad so many were able to join in this weekend. I am off to a sew-in at local shop tomorrow with five friends so should get some quilting done inbetween all the visiting! This is first sew-in since pre-pandemic although we have all kept in touch with each other. I'll check back in tomorrow night.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:04 PM

I was away a night earlier this week, got to see family after two years, because of Covid, great visit, but am happy to be back home. We've had a rainy weekend, and cool, so I have been sewing. I am working on jelly rolls rugs. I did go to my favorite quilt shop yesterday. Came home with some new fabric for more rugs. I also have been invited to participate with a quilt guild that will be holding a yard sale in August, so I went through bins and sorted and thinned out. I came up with some fabric, thread, and other odds and ends.

Iceblossom, I really like your squares, what an exciting quilt to be making.

Happy 4th of July everyone, and happy sewing. I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:06 PM

It took most of the weekend, but it is done! This is a block from Harriet's Journey by Jennifer Chiaverini.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20210704_195103.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	634292  
Old 07-04-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Working on my first ever Lone Star. Center medallion came out much smaller than anticipated (39"). So I decided to make some extras to go around the outside. This is the test fit.

Sadly I have plenty of the different grey's left. But only 12" of the green background. Fabric is from stash so can't get anymore.

I've never done a medallion before so this problem is really bending my brain. It's a puzzle!
This looks beautiful!! If you're looking to expand it and you want to make more of the extra blocks, could you do some with a green fabric that is a couple shades lighter than your current green that you don't have enough of? Then maybe finish with a (few) borders of some kind that are lighter again? So it kind of makes an ombre effect with the green. Just trying to think about how to enlarge it with what you have