Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Large and Trimming Down >

Cutting Large and Trimming Down

Cutting Large and Trimming Down

Old 07-04-2021, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
.............Paper Pieced Pandas on the to-do list.
Oh that sounds too darned cute!
IceBlossom ... Can you share a link for us to see the pattern?
Please? and Thanks!
Old 07-04-2021, 06:38 PM

The book is Painless Paper Piecing by Marjorie Rhines, is all about the folded technique and was highly recommended to me -- because as I say, paper piecing is not part of my strong skill set.
Here's an amazon link -- although there is an expensive copy, there are also more affordable options.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0971450110/ref=sr_aod_dp_img

The pattern itself is Su-Lin (Panda Bear) and I haven't found a very good picture yet, get a file not find error...you get a suggestion that the book is out of print and maybe you can find it on amazon! Here's the not very good picture that leads to the file not found link.
https://www.quiltdesignnw.com/ppp-gallery.htm
Old 07-09-2021, 02:22 AM

When trimming down, I like to use my rotating mat or even just a small mat on top of my usual cutting mat. It makes it much easier to turn and trim quickly without disturbing anything.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 PM

I recently made a quilt that had directions for cutting 5 3/4 squares to make half square triangles. I thought it was so much easier to just cut 6 inch squares, and trim. I am relatively new to quilting and have trouble squaring blocks if I don't have a ruler that is the same size as I want to trim to. This is one of the areas I am willing to spend money. I have a lot of rulers now.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:06 AM

Reader1, that's how it starts! Just so much easier to cut an easy measurement and you get the perfect results in the end.

One of the things I keep in my sewing tool kit is 1/4" quilters masking tape. When I don't have the exact perfect ruler, I will mark my cutting line with the tape, if you put it on the bottom of the ruler it can help with just a tiny bit more traction. Putting it on the top is usually 15 seconds faster and easier, doesn't really matter much except helps me be consistent.

edit: I should say that for my first 20 or so years of quilting I was all about being very precise. Very precise with my grain line. With my cuts. With my seams. Even with the amount of fabric I bought. I started shifting to this cut large idea about 20 years ago and the end result for me is that my blocks are better, and it is ultimately faster and easier and less stressful than the precision method.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-13-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:28 AM

Recently, I found bags and bags of HSTs at a thrift store - obviously someone had projects in mind but there was no evidence of what they were planning to do with them, and the squares ranged from 1-3/8" to 2-1/2" and were frequently somewhat off-kilter. On a rough day a couple of weeks ago, I turned my back on my current project and started playing around with these new-to-me bits... cutting them all down to a consistent size (1-1/4") gave me some good therapy and I have been able to make 5 small blocks out of them. No idea what I will do with those blocks, but it was a lot of fun and I still have a large biscuit tin full of more of these little bags of treasure to play with in the future. I also have more confidence in the idea of cutting down to make something workable and less stressful to deal with. :-D
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie's Choice.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	634468  
Old 07-16-2021, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I would be lost w/o my Bloc Loc rulers for HST's. I get much better accuracy. Also my flying geese ruler. I'm not one to buy every ruler on the market but those are very valuable to me.
I use the making larger method a lot. The little waste is totally worth having a block that isn't wonky ( my specialty haha)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Recently, I found bags and bags of HSTs at a thrift store - obviously someone had projects in mind but there was no evidence of what they were planning to do with them, and the squares ranged from 1-3/8" to 2-1/2" and were frequently somewhat off-kilter. On a rough day a couple of weeks ago, I turned my back on my current project and started playing around with these new-to-me bits... cutting them all down to a consistent size (1-1/4") gave me some good therapy and I have been able to make 5 small blocks out of them. No idea what I will do with those blocks, but it was a lot of fun and I still have a large biscuit tin full of more of these little bags of treasure to play with in the future. I also have more confidence in the idea of cutting down to make something workable and less stressful to deal with. :-D
Gemm, you might want to look at Bonnie Hunter's website for a cute idea for your HSTs. Her leader-ender project that she put out this month uses them. She put them together in to little fish shapes. You can use any size scrap or pieces that you have.