Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Signed Friendship quilt >

Vintage Signed Friendship quilt

Vintage Signed Friendship quilt

Old 07-19-2021, 04:03 PM

Default Vintage Signed Friendship quilt

So I am very excited about a recent purchase. I seem to have a soft spot for old quilt tops or quilts that need some tlc or rescuing. I found this "friendship" quilt on Ebay and after watching it for several days, I just went ahead and bought it.It spoke to me and I just needed to buy it. It was described as vintage feed sack fabric, and I got it today. It indeed is mostly feed sack material. Every block in this quilt is signed. The coolest part about this quilt is that it is missing a final corner square. I am assuming there would have been a story involved, and certainly can make one up in my head. I intend to make the final dresden plate for the final block, sign it and then do a simple backing. So here is my question. Do you suppose I could actually find information about any of the women that made this quilt? I know from the seller that it was purchased at a thrift/antique shop in Spokane Washington. I am not sure if I could find any info on any of these women, but boy it would be really amazing to do so. I am going to date this quilt at about 1930's 1940's. The embroidery on the names is amazing, and one name has a pencil letter B that looks like they were going to start the name but then moved it down. This quilt is amazing. If by chance anyone is from the Pacific Northwest, maybe we could start some searches and see if this belonged to a quilting group of some sort.

(the pics are from the sellers listing, I would never lay a quilt out on the grass).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-19 7.57.03 PM.png
Views:	290
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	634614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-19 7.57.15 PM.png
Views:	212
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	634615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-19 7.56.48 PM.png
Views:	183
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	634617  
Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 PM

That is a pretty quilt. I'm not sure how but it would be fun to try looking for the history. Maybe start with the library for tips.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:04 PM

I put the name Mrs. Fred Kemp (I think that is the name in the picture, vision is fuzzy tonight) into google and came up with an ebay listing for a photograph,

1956 Press Photo Mrs. Fred Kemp, Daughters of the American Revolution head

This is an original press photo. New and retiring regents of the Washington state society of the Daughters of the American Revolution are shown here with a woman who attended one of the DAR sponsored schools and the state chairman of the DAR approved schools. Left to right seated are Mrs. Lewis Griswold of Seattle, retiring regent and standing Mrs. RI Samson, Seattle, state chairman of DAR approved schools and Mrs. Alena Eden, Spokane who attended the DAR school in Crossnore, NC.Photo measures 7.25 x 8.75inches. Photo is dated 3-15-1956.

It seems to fit but of course there is no way of knowing without much more research. It will be difficult because we don't have the woman's actual first name. Ancestry, Legacy obituaries, Family Tree will all come up on a Google search and may have some answers for you.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:16 PM

This is such an exciting find! I know I would love the adventure of trying to find out who these people are. Like janiebakes, I did a quick search and found a reference to a Fred Kamp, but he was in Missouri. I'm not sure how far a quilt was likely to travel in its lifetime (being a fan of the Little House books, I know some of them moved quite a lot). Here's the link for your reference: http://www.archives.com/1940-census/...mp-mo-48205732

Enjoy the quest!
Old 07-19-2021, 09:51 PM

Try looking up the names in the 1940 U.S. Census on ancestry.com. It should give you a locality. Then search newspapers from that locality for more information.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:10 AM

Oh, what fun. A mystery of sorts. You have already gotten some good ideas on how to search. It will certainly take some time to search all of those names, but you may find some wonderful info and who knows some children or grandchildren who might like to know there mum or grandma or auntie was remembered in a quilt. I feel a story coming on. Keep us all posted from time to time. We can all live vicariously through your adventure.

My one suggestion is to contact a quilt museum and ask their process of quilt maker identification.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:22 AM

It looks like Mrs. Fred Kemp lived in Wenatchee, Washington. This from the “Wenatchee World” newspaper: • “Mr. and Mrs. Fred Kemp held a lawn party in honor of their son Bradstreet Kemp's first birthday. Among those attending were Robert Lemon, Wilma Woods, Robert Culp, James W. Hutchinson, Virginia Hutchinson, Robert Dallach, Nelson Ludington, Marguerite Mills, Sam R. Sumner Jr., Harriet Whitson, Lee R. Gillette Jr., Carl Case and Jane Templeton.” Unfortunately a subscription is needed to see the article, but I thought some of these names might be helpful.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:35 AM

I used my Ancestry.com account and began some research. I have found several of names associated with an area in Washington state called Bellingham, Whatcom county. Another area is the Metaline Falls area of Washington. I have also written down all the names and only 2-3 I am unsure of the spelling of part of the name. The writing is in the ornate cursive style of days long past. I remember my sweet Grandmother writing in such script and I loved reading her letters. There are 28 names and one block has "Bells" on it--which makes me think that indeed the Bellingham area might be a connection. I have emailed the Bellingham Washington Historical society to ask for contacts that might be able to help in the research. I am very determined to find out this quilts story. I will keep you all posted.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

What a fun find! I love reading those old names (some of which are resurfacing on new babies these days) and also the ones that are Mrs. and the husband's name. So cute!!!!

I have a few from that era and I love them. Have fun with it!
Old 07-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty old quilt.