Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Savers Thrift store bonanza!!! >

Savers Thrift store bonanza!!!

Savers Thrift store bonanza!!!

Old 07-18-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
What a jackpot....lucky woman!! I always measure any new material that is bought and then put a string tag (with a small safety pin) on a selvage with the yardage and where I got it. If you cut a section off for a quilt, remeasure what is left and put this new measurement on the tag. Saves me a lot of frustration when wondering if I have enough left over for a certain project.
I've done this also. Quite often though, I write measurement on selvage with permanent marker(paper behind in case of bleeding, but hasn't bled yet). Re-mark or cross off and indicate new measurement when needed.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:35 AM

I also write info on the selvedges with any handy sharpies Sometimes I will write on a scrap of paper or I have packages of tags for like yard sales and will pin those. I use brass safety pins for that, or just pin the selvedge.

I made some good scores in my Goodwill rounds today, enough of a beach themed Alexander Henry print for a quilt back -- just when I had decided on a beach themed top earlier this morning!

There were more things that tempted me and none of what I got was on sale, but still several pieces of usable yardage and a piece to my Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne dishes that I didn't already have.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
What a jackpot....lucky woman!! I always measure any new material that is bought and then put a string tag (with a small safety pin) on a selvage with the yardage and where I got it. If you cut a section off for a quilt, remeasure what is left and put this new measurement on the tag. Saves me a lot of frustration when wondering if I have enough left over for a certain project.
Great plan. I do this too but I write yardage on stiff paper then staple to selvage.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad nobody was there to save you from yourself! LOL
Great haul, good for you!
Old 07-20-2021, 06:51 AM

oh, good buys are always so fun. sighhhh! Between staying home these past few years and having to look at my huge stash...I have been avoiding going places that will tempt me. I so would like to go on my state's shop hop this year,....but....I already have quite a stash of past "state shop hop" fabric. There are a few fabrics that look like they would be really fun. I already bought not one but two new machines during the shutdowns both of which can embroider so I am attempting to learn how to do that on each of them. I have embroidered in the past, but none since my old "floppy" embroidery machine. so yep, is a learning curve now.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:52 AM

That was your lucky day for sure. Have fun with all that fabric.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:04 AM

Nice score of fabric for you!