Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
At what size is a scrap too small to keep? >

At what size is a scrap too small to keep?

At what size is a scrap too small to keep?

Old 07-15-2021, 02:22 PM

My minimum size is 2.5" square or strip.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:07 PM

I'm on the I don't like scraps wagon. For many years I have cut 2.5" x7" strips from my scraps. I read a hint on here about 5" squares, so I do that now too. Otherwise, scraps are tossed onto a priority mailing box, and offered on here when full.
I tried for years to like scraps, and make scrap quilts, but never really enjoyed it. I finally said I'm done trying to like something that brings me no joy, Life is to short.😁
Old 07-18-2021, 07:45 AM

I keep all of my scraps no matter the size and hope to either make a scrappy crazy quilt or strip quilt some day. I have recently seen on the internet some quilters are making crumb quilts and any size goes I guess.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:07 AM

I had a neighbor one time whose mother told her there was no scrap too small to keep. I was new to quilting, so I started keeping everything. Eventually I ended up with three very large tubs of scraps. I occasionally used items from there, but they kept adding up. Then I attended an Edyta Sitar trunk show. She showed a beautiful quilt and when asked if there was a pattern she hesitated and said that there was no pattern. She had simply taken a square of paper, drew some lines, and paper pieced the quilt. Light bulb time! I went home and did just that. It took a while to make 500 blocks (I only worked on it in my spare time as I made other quilts) but I used up my fabric scraps and made my own beautiful scrappy quilt. I put it on our bed to show my husband--he asked me to leave it right where it was. I love to see the different fabrics and remember all the quilts I've made.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
.........I used up my fabric scraps and made my own beautiful scrappy quilt. I put it on our bed to show my husband--he asked me to leave it right where it was. I love to see the different fabrics and remember all the quilts I've made.
What a lovely story. The best part that your DH wanted it as a daily showpiece.
Please do show us a photo of your gem!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:19 AM

Yes, I've love to see a picture of your quilt as well, Grammahut. I love the idea of doing a PP scrap quilt. I'll keep this in mind.