Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chain piecing >

Chain piecing

Chain piecing

Old 07-13-2021, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
There I was, happily stitching away, when all of a sudden some kind of creepy crawly ran down my leg. I shrieked, jumped back about 6 feet and fell off my chair onto the floor. All the sleeping menfolk came a-runnin to rescue me. I had to sheepishly tell them it was just my chain-pieced string of blocks, falling off the far edge of the table, that had brushed against my leg. 🥴🤣
This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while - I can totally see this happening! Thanks for the belly laugh! :-)
Old 07-13-2021, 07:13 PM

This reminded me of the time I was chain piecing. It was late at night, everyone else was in bed asleep, and I was enjoying some alone time. There I was, happily stitching away, when all of a sudden some kind of creepy crawly ran down my leg. I shrieked, jumped back about 6 feet and fell off my chair onto the floor. All the sleeping menfolk came a-runnin to rescue me. I had to sheepishly tell them it was just my chain-pieced string of blocks, falling off the far edge of the table, that had brushed against my leg. 🥴🤣
OMG. Hope you didn't hurt yourself.
More reason to keep the creepy crawlies away.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:29 PM

This reminded me of the time I was chain piecing. It was late at night, everyone else was in bed asleep, and I was enjoying some alone time. There I was, happily stitching away, when all of a sudden some kind of creepy crawly ran down my leg. I shrieked, jumped back about 6 feet and fell off my chair onto the floor. All the sleeping menfolk came a-runnin to rescue me. I had to sheepishly tell them it was just my chain-pieced string of blocks, falling off the far edge of the table, that had brushed against my leg. 🥴🤣
Oh my gosh!! So funny. I hate bugs too and will jump out of my chair over a dumb little spider.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:54 PM

its going to be so pretty! Love your fabrics!
Old 07-27-2021, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I am really surprised at what I feel, just an honest appreciation for so many who tirelessly dedicate themselves to the huge amount of sewing involved in making a quilt. Knowing all the work that will be required yet still forging ahead, it's really amazing. And it is Sunday morning, a good day for a healthy dose of humility, and a sense of pride too, in what we do.
So let me share my BIG project, LOL! If the photo will post...this will become a placemat, right now it's 12" X 15". There are 20 square in a square blocks which I did ten at a time. Obviously this little chickadee still has a long way to go.
Attachment 634392
I love it!!! Just lovely
Old 07-27-2021, 01:20 PM

I chain piece until the unit is done too, the most has been 300ish. As I look at some of the more complicated quilts I want to make with the need to chain piece 500+ I don't know that I could chain piece that much, too boring. I will likely chain piece half of it but who knows!
Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 AM

I remember the time I chain-pieced a whole bunch of 4 1/2 squares together, pulled them around to the front of the machine to cut them apart only to find that I had forgot to re-thread the needle after changing it. In my defense tho, I blamed that lapse on a long phone conversation I just had with my niece.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:47 AM

When I chain piece, the finished pieces fall off the back of my sewing table. When they cover my feet, I stop, snip them apart, and iron. Sometimes I do a second round before pressing, but usually not. I rarely chain piece anything I'm paper piecing.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:38 PM

I usually piece 4 or five blocks worth so I can check them and not feel bad if I did them the wrong way (LOL) since that sometimes happens when I am zoned.