Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 07-29-2021, 11:58 AM

Well, I have run out of excuses (and room) and it is finally time to completely re-do the sewing room. I'm not even going to show a before shot, but maybe an in progress one...

I've decided that my greatest hurdle in getting quilts out is getting them quilted and the biggest problem is getting the tops sandwiched. Is a sad thing when storage of completed tops is a major factor in my space allocations! I've always had my sewing machine on top of the table surface, but I just bought an actual sewing table where I can lower the machine to table height, I feel this will be a huge help to me in quilting down, plus it is simply bigger and more stable than my current small computer desk return.

I've been working at down-sizing my stash for the last 10 years or so and even with as much as I have now, you should have seen it before. In terms of available space, I think I could be very happy with an entire closet filled with fabric, which is down from an entire room. My closet, however, has been filled with long term storage items like a bed frame and sleeping bags. I bought rolling racks for my fabric which have been in front of the closet but I haven't actually been inside the closet for maybe 10 years when I started all this.

We go get the the sewing table on Saturday -- I need to get off line and back to clearing out the existing room. Going to wait until the hubby is home to open the closet. Hoping it will be anti-climatic (like Geraldo opening Al Capone's vault) -- but want reinforcements just in case its not.

In addition to the table, I got a free!!! folding ping pong table that I will be able to use in my yard -- still no space big enough in the house to open it out. It will be a big help in layering my tops and backs. Yes, I'll have to watch weather and get clamps and things but still better than working on top of a queen sized bed with four posts sticking up at the corners.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:36 AM

I have been cleaning out my computer!. Yup all those quilt patterns I have saved but never get around to trying and especially the sent and saved messages here on the QB. I got a message that my PM box was nearly full. Time to clean house. I found messages sent and received from 2010. Really, why was I keeping those. Gone now but sill have more to look over. Feels good to eliminate the "saves" that won't be used.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:04 PM

Feels good to get rid of stuff we were gonna try n then I look at it later and say what? Yup what was I 🤔 have to say tho it’s liberating
Old 07-31-2021, 08:47 AM

Ooof! What a slog and it is hot here. I'm almost on schedule... I'll be ready for the new sewing table but the closet remains shut, so that means boxes will remain stacked for the short term. I'm in the exploded stage where you can't believe how much stuff you crammed in. My desk particularly is about 2 foot deep in assorted junk.

But -- the bookcase has been emptied and moved out of the room, it was taller (and wider) than the door so required some angles and such to get out. Good thing I remembered putting it in, and I avoided hitting the ceiling light fixture as well.

Taking a coffee break and then need to clear off the current sewing table (piled much like the desk) and then get that out of the room. Not sure if I have to take the legs off or not, won't know until it's cleared off.

I have found about a hundred of my steadily declining pin collection, and while I can sweep those up, apparently I am a sucker for rescuing safety pins. I've been having little talks with myself about "different economies" and just buy some new ones, but each time the floor is swept up, the safety pins are still being rescued.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I decided to rearrange my sewing room to have more open space. I have of course too much stuff. I got a big bin and filled it with items I have sitting out that I really don't use that much. I made a list of everything in it taped it to the bin and put a copy in a frame on my sewing room wall. I need to do this with more of my stuff to have a nicer sewing room. I cannot find a way to store my thread that is functional for me.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:38 PM

So -- we still haven't opened up the closet, but great things have happened in the one corner at least.

Picture 1 -- the start of the day. This isn't even the worst of it, looked like a bomb went off. Parts still do... carefully edited shot placement!

Picture 2 -- the end of the day. The curtains and the bookcase are gone. I'll have to adjust the chain locks for the correct depth placement of my Bernie, but look how nicely he snuggles down. I have a precut acrylic insert, it is very slightly narrower and just about 1/3 inch too long, but I will see about getting it trimmed down to fit.

The crank to the far right adjusts the entire table height -- super awesome because as I describe myself I have a long torso and short little alligator arms... I've seen the power tables, woohoo but not in my budget range, not this decade!

I'm hoping that the combination of being able to drop my machine down to table height and the extra space/support will really help me to be able to quilt down my projects better. That's the hope anyway.

PS: I knew my sewing room was the smallest room and I was guessing it was something like 8x10, close -- 8.5 x 9.5. The new table is 60x40, fits in nicely there with the little wall by the closet. On the other side of that is the coat closet in the living room. For the size of the bedroom, the closet (where the fabric will go) is large, funny how the other bedroom is slightly larger but with a smaller closet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing before.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	994.1 KB
ID:	634769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buick Desk.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	731.6 KB
ID:	634770  
Old 08-01-2021, 04:26 AM

Wow, Iceblossom!!! Enjoy that new table and your rearranged space.

Rob
Old 08-01-2021, 07:25 AM

And now for the rest of the story... Here's the desk as of end of day yesterday. Problem is that it needs to be moved to the wall in the next shot -- which has not yet been touched in the organization. I know that the back corner is not quilting related stuff... that used to be where my vintage fabric collection was stored and when it was removed other things moved in. The boxes next to it, especially the one that says Cats is indeed fabric. In the final set of changes, a piano of great sentimental value but in a sad state of disrepair will move in where the desk is currently. Mostly it will take up space but I will use the top as a bookshelf...

The rolling rack is still in front of the closet... closet is still not opened.

The artwork hanging on the rolling rack is usually not there, just one of my treasures that got to spend a little time in the light of day. I believe it is the story of the Hmong people. If you start in the upper right corner, you see a peaceful village in the mountains being bombed and soldiers coming. I think the image of the woman represent days as she fled through the jungles and crossed a river into safety in the bottom left corner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6158.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	912.6 KB
ID:	634774   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6159.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	884.3 KB
ID:	634775   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6162 (3).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	918.3 KB
ID:	634776   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6160 (2).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1,021.0 KB
ID:	634777  
Old 08-01-2021, 10:18 AM

Iceblossom- great job reorganizing your room! And thanks for sharing the Hmong artwork- it is an amazing piece.

Rob
Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM

Another great deal, Iceblossom. Looks like it will be great for working with quilts.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.