Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the 1/4" seam a must for you? >

Is the 1/4" seam a must for you?

Is the 1/4" seam a must for you?

Old 08-02-2021, 11:06 AM

Its such a individual preference. I have yet to come across a quilt pattern that calls for anything more or anything less than a 1/4 or scant 1/4. I have taken the the time to master both and the journey was not always a pleasant one. I always test my block and note the needle setting for each block I make in a quilt. Remember, there are no quilt Police, and we all have our own way of doing things, do what works for you and gives you the results you want.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:35 AM

It’s a real pain in the neck, but when that happens to me I add an additional line of stitching close to the other stitching line. I always worry the seam will come apart later when it’s washed.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

As long as your seams are concistent you can probably get away with more basic blocks. The problem comes in when you enter a swap. My seams teand to be a true 1/4 in. and not scant and I tend to have blocks that run a little smaller.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:58 PM

If you notice that a particular fabric seems to be fraying more than usual, you might use a smaller stitch length on your machine. Just an idea.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
As long as your seams are concistent you can probably get away with more basic blocks. The problem comes in when you enter a swap. My seams teand to be a true 1/4 in. and not scant and I tend to have blocks that run a little smaller.
I have/had this idea that people that participated in a swap were "supposed" to follow the guidelines.

I got "swatted" for being unhappy with a block that was supposed to be 12.5 and it was only 11.75 inches. I also got swatted for when a person sent a pink and blue block and it was supposed to be only yellow, blue, and white.

I do not participate in swaps any more.

I will not fuss if the swap is for 12.5 unfinished black and white blocks as long as the block is approximately (plus or minus 1/8 inch) the expected size and the fabrics used are black and white.

But as far as seam allowances - whatever works for you.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:30 PM

I prefer bigger seams and if there is a template I adjust to 1/2 inch seams. But if I buy or use a pattern I use what they ask for since I can't figure out how to adjust those.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:06 PM

I aim for a consistent 1/4 inch seam. " Scant" may make a difference in an intricate block but I don't do those- I CAN but I don't.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:04 AM

I cut my pieces larger so I can square them up. This allows me to have a larger seam allowance.
How however I am using Accuquilt and my seams have to be an exact 1/4" . It is a bit more tricky but I am getting it down. It is the final out come of the square or pieces that matter. Or as long as your seams are consistent throughout.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I have absolutely nailed the 1/4" seam allowance. I just watch that my foot runs at the edge of my edge of fabric. The more you sew the better you will be able to make your
seams consistent.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:50 PM

Interesting thoughts from all of you. Doggramma I got a little chuckle when I read your comment. This is exactly what I did when making this quilt top. When my exact scant 1/4" seam wasn't so "exact", I stared at it for a bit, and pondered in my head, do I want to rip this out and do it again, and laziness got the best of me, and I just reinforced it with a second backup line.

I remember watching Genny Doan making her quits and think that her seams look like a healthier size 1/4" seam. Then one time she was a guest on another quilt show, and the quilter had her make a block. When she started sewing it, she said;
You know my 1/4" seams tend to be a little on the generous side. It just makes me feel better. So I remember thinking, I was not alone after all.