Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cooler Quilt Batting? >

Cooler Quilt Batting?

Cooler Quilt Batting?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Blondie~ View Post
I used to be a distance runner .. while menopausal. I learned early of cotton. It sticks and stays wet. Tech poly kept me dry, breathed thru most hot flashes, was warmer than cotton. But the best fabric I discovered was smart wool. Perfect with my hot flashes. It’s cool or warm when need be; it breathes; it stays dry. So, my next quilt will have wool batting. I’m going to try it. I’m tired of thinking my quilt is too warm or too cold.
You must be in a cooler climate than I am. I about die if I try to wear wool. I used to wear it before menopause but could only do it a few times a year (when we have our "cold" weather). Now I rarely put on anything wool. It's just too hot for Houston's climate. I can't imagine using wool batting in a quilt for our weather here. I don't know anyone who uses it in this area.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't use batting at all. If it needed a middle layer you could use a sheet or a piece of flannel. Depending on what you are making it with you may not need anything in the middle.
Lynda
Old 07-31-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I agree with Cash's mom. I think Quilters Dream Request wt.100% cotton will be just what you are looking for. Of course, I have come to use only Quilters Dream brand batting, various weights and types according to the project. It will tell you the appropriate distance between quilting on the package information and I don't know what that is right now, but you won't have any problems with bunching or shifting with use or washing.
I'm with you, suern3. I love the softness and drape of the Quilter's Dream battings.

Leslie
Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Either bamboo or wool. Both make wonderful, lightweight, summer quilts!
Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Has anyone ever used any of the pelons? I ask because I used the one with the grid on it when I made my Bargello Quilt. It it like having no batting at all, but gives some stability when doing the quilting part. No batting at all is perfect also. The 2 layers of the quilt itself are plenty warm.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 PM

Hobbs 80/20 or Warm & Natural 80/20. The cotton helps it breath and isn't as hot.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:34 PM

Based on my experience as a small quilt business owner, some of the best wadding for quilting I got from this shop online are cotton and polyester waddings. These waddings allow enough air to circulate. They can also withstand heavy washing if they are sewn the right way with the correct pattern. A cotton wadding was the first material I used for quilting.

Last edited by patricej; 08-04-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:44 PM

If I could afford it, I would use a washable wool batting all the time, it is warm when needed and cool when needed. My batting of choice is Quilters Dread 70/30. 70 polyester and 30 cotton. I love how it quilts, both dense and open quilting. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-05-2021, 10:50 AM

Question

I like Hobbs 80/20
Old 08-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Question

Originally Posted by JosephineDupont View Post
I have recently taken an interest in quilting. I would like to try quilting a fabric myself, however, I am having trouble with what fabric and wadding to use. I want to ask for your thoughts regarding what materials should I use as a beginner before purchasing one from this quilting wadding online seller. Thank you!
Originally Posted by JosephineDupont View Post
Based on my experience as a small quilt business owner, some of the best wadding for quilting I got from this shop online are cotton and polyester waddings. These waddings allow enough air to circulate. They can also withstand heavy washing if they are sewn the right way with the correct pattern. A cotton wadding was the first material I used for quilting.
These posts are a bit confusing.