Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rod Pocket >

Rod Pocket

Rod Pocket

Old 08-07-2021, 08:15 AM

Default Rod Pocket

I'm making a quilt for my niece, which will be a wall hanging. The quilt is 70" x 104".

Not knowing what type of rod will be used, what suggestions can you give me for making a "versatile" rod pocket that will accommodate different rod sizes?

I really am interested in the Hang it, Dang it system, however, their large rod is 1 1/8" in diameter. If I make my rod pocket to accommodate this diameter, it appears that it will not work for a smaller diameter rod without some of the rod pocket showing over the top of the quilt.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:32 AM

Here is my favorite

https://www.facebook.com/DebTuckerSt...?extid=SEO----
Old 08-07-2021, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the link, tallchick. I'll never enter a quilt in a show but she had a great way of making the sleeve for quilt show displays. Very clever.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:56 PM

Thank you for the reference. I am going to try this method and see how it works. Yolanda/littlebitoheaven
Old 08-08-2021, 08:22 AM

If you make the pocket for a larger rod, the smaller rod will fit. The larger rod will not fit the smaller pocket. So, I make mine for a large rod. I like cafe curtain rods. They only hang about 1 1/2 from the wall. The wider the rod the more likely there will be a third hook in the center. So you may want to consider not one long pocket but two with a gap in the center.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:44 AM

Like Toverly suggests, I make two rod pockets and leave about a 1" space between them. That extra space allows another support so the quilt won't droop in the middle. I also make the sleeve seam so it faces the back of the quilt, not the inside of the pocket. When the pocket is stitched down, that seam is not visible.

Liked that suggestion of using the quilt fabric to make the rod pocket for any repairs that may need to be made in the future! Thanks, Tallchick!
Old 08-08-2021, 11:29 AM

Great ideas! Thank you, everyone.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:43 AM

I have the hang-it dang-it and used a quilt show regulation type of pocket for it. the HIDI will take any size pocket.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I make big triangles and sew the tip into the binding and the bottom to the backing. I double the triangles, sew around, slit and turn, no raw edges to show. Takes less time then hand sewing a long pocket to the quilt. And some small quilts look nicer if the bottoms of the triangles aren't sewn to the backing and make a nice decorate edge on the rod.