Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bright and happy toddler quilt >

Bright and happy toddler quilt

Bright and happy toddler quilt

Old 08-11-2021, 04:52 PM

Default Essex linen blend

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
You mentioned loving the texture of the Essex cotton/linen blend fabric used in your background. Did you find this fabric washed well without a lot of wrinkles. As for texture, is it as soft as cotton. Many thanks for showing us your quilt.
I have a weakness for linen; I love the look and the "hand." The cotton/linen blend has a slight slub texture, like pure linen, but is more conducive to pairing with quilting cottons. I don't find that it wrinkles any more than the cottons. It is soft but not as smooth as 100% cotton - has that slightly slubby linen texture. I've used it in backgrounds on 3 quilts and loved it each time.

I have heard that it is recommended to pre-wash Essex when mixing with cottons - since it may shrink at a different rate. I pre-wash all my fabrics so haven't had that issue.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words! It is 100 degrees here in Oregon today so staying inside and cutting strips for the next quilt.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:22 AM

Very pretty and colorful…the pattern looks like a fun one to construct. I love the inner border, again so colorful. Great job.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:28 AM

Super cute! Good job!