Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
What kind of crack are y'all selling? >

What kind of crack are y'all selling?

What kind of crack are y'all selling?

Old 08-11-2021, 02:06 PM

Wink What kind of crack are y'all selling?

Seriously. I joined because this looked like a place with good information on vintage sewing machines. It's taken exactly 3.5 days and I'm already looking for a project machine. I swear if I get divorced because I start hoarding machines, it's all y'alls fault.

Anyway, I'm Chris. I live on a boat. I need to sew canvas. That's kinda how I ended up here. I'm cheap and I didn't want to pay $800 for a straight stitch Sailrite machine "sew" I bought a singer 66.

A few youtube rebuild/refurb videos later, and now I want to buy three more to rebuild. And maybe I'll make a quilt this winter alongside my knitting!

Thanks for having me.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:50 PM

So funny, those old Singers are workhorses for sure. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:58 PM

Welcome from Texas. Sounds like you are on the road to being additive! We have a lot of sewing machine hoarders collectors on this board that will help you along.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Welcome from Texas. Sounds like you are on the road to being additive! We have a lot of sewing machine hoarders collectors on this board that will help you along.
I’m on the Texas gulf coast!
Old 08-11-2021, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. While I sympathize with your need to acquire vintage Singers, remember you live on a boat and these machine are heavy.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
remember you live on a boat and these machine are heavy.
Yeah, they said the same thing about cameras, and I still ended up with a collection of vintage film gear, which I still use and shoot today!

But we do keep a small storage unit for seasonal clothes storage, tools, and furniture from the sticks & bricks that we're not ready to part with yet.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 08-12-2021, 04:29 AM

Welcome welcome welcome from the other far corner of the US (lol) ...You have made me laugh this morning. A boat ehh? That actually sounds cool.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:08 AM

Welcome aboard -- you are indeed now one of us, one of us!

I was only semi-joking the other day that a nice old machine I had might end up as a boat anchor... they do have many uses.

Waving from the Seattle area, sail on sailor
Old 08-12-2021, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
A boat ehh? That actually sounds cool.

Yes. We sold the sticks & bricks in March of 2016 and "temporarily" moved into our RV so that we wouldn't be buying and selling at the same time. That temporary RV stay turned into 2.5 years. We moved the RV down to the coast and settled into water life working our way through a ski boat, a 27 foot sail boat, a 31 foot cabin cruiser, and now we live on a 40 foot motor yacht. We keep talking about moving back to land, but then we realize we have the cheapest water front property in the state and decide to stay! It's a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I was only semi-joking the other day that a nice old machine I had might end up as a boat anchor... they do have many uses.
To tell you the truth, this 66 that I bought weighs more than the anchor on the front of the boat. The day anchor on the boat is 22lbs, this 66 is 30!