Assistance with a Singer 66

Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
...4. make new grease wicks (I've sued wool felt) and saturate with grease (Tri Flo or petroleum jelly), fill the ports under the tubes ...
Thank for a very thorough tutorial for the motor. However, I think the consensus of those that deal with them more and longer than I have, is not to use Tri-Flow for the the motors that use a wick.

A couple of examples -
TRI-FLOW Grease Question and https://archaicarcane.com/a-search-f...e-replacement/
It seems like, that initially, when the sewing machine world extolled the virtues of Tri-Flow that it was suggested that it could be used anywhere the Vintage Singer Lube could. A few years later, that changed for motors as it didn't work like it should.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-11-2021, 06:07 AM

One more thing...

Knowing that I'm going to be sewing through at least two, if not 4 layers of canvas, along with clear vinyl material of .03 or .04 thickness, which needles would you suggest?

A lot of the leather workers seem to use Schmetz of varying sizes.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:19 PM

Soooo... I just realized that it appears the bobbin winder assembly is missing on mine.

Guess it's back to part shopping.

ETA: Nevermind, it looks like it's all there. It goes down to the hook on the bottom right hand corner and then up to the winder spindle.

Last edited by singersail; 08-11-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Thank for a very thorough tutorial for the motor. However, I think the consensus of those that deal with them more and longer than I have, is not to use Tri-Flow for the the motors that use a wick.

A couple of examples -
TRI-FLOW Grease Question and https://archaicarcane.com/a-search-f...e-replacement/
It seems like, that initially, when the sewing machine world extolled the virtues of Tri-Flow that it was suggested that it could be used anywhere the Vintage Singer Lube could. A few years later, that changed for motors as it didn't work like it should.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
The funny thing about it is that I've never purchased or used Tri Flow, just petroleum jelly and old (red/green) Singer lube until it ran out. I thought I'd read recently about using it in motors, so that's why I mentioned it.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by singersail View Post
One more thing...

Knowing that I'm going to be sewing through at least two, if not 4 layers of canvas, along with clear vinyl material of .03 or .04 thickness, which needles would you suggest?

A lot of the leather workers seem to use Schmetz of varying sizes.
I can only respond by suggesting a search for "sewing machine needle chart" or something similar which will give you many results including something like this

https://littleragamuffin.com/choosin...t-size-needle/

As to brand, I have no opinion, but you could try several and if you're sewing heavy material you'll want to have plenty of needles on hand anyway!
Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 AM

I can only respond by suggesting a search for "sewing machine needle chart" or something similar which will give you many results including something like this

Yeah, after I posted that I started researching more yesterday. All of the numbers associated with needles was confusing me quite a bit, but I think I've got it sorted out. Thanks for that link though!
Old 08-12-2021, 10:52 AM

So it just arrived!!

I bought this for $99 on ebay because it was free shipping. If shipping was about $30, I figure I paid about $70 for the machine.

After plugging it up, the lamp lit right up and the machine did run. However it is extremely dry, caked up with lint and other dirt and dust, and the motor smelled a little. You know that old electrical kind of smell. The finish is in amazing shape, there isn't a lot of rust, barely any actually. The belt actually seems to be in good condition, but I'm going to look for something a little more sturdy.

Tomorrow I'll start tearing it down. A guy named Bob Fowler on youtube posted a series of videos rebuilding a 66 and I feel like I can completely take this apart with the help of those videos, and clean/buff all the parts before reassembling and oiling everything. I'll tear the lamp down as well as the motor and the foot pedal and replace all the wiring as well.

I'm super excited about this project!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	950.7 KB
ID:	635007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	981.6 KB
ID:	635008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	929.8 KB
ID:	635009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	674.1 KB
ID:	635010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	635011  

Old 08-12-2021, 10:52 AM

Two more of the bottom side...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	780.7 KB
ID:	635012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	869.5 KB
ID:	635013  
Old 08-12-2021, 01:48 PM

I have about 10 machines headed your way for clean up!!

Have fun with it, and report back.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:51 PM

I have about 10 machines headed your way for clean up!!

Have fun with it, and report back.
If there's any 66's you might only get 9 back!! LOL

I've already got the lamp, foot pedal, and motor disassembled and prepped for cleaning. Tomorrow I start breaking down all the internal pieces!