Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My arms are falling off!! >

My arms are falling off!!

My arms are falling off!!

Old 08-11-2021, 05:13 AM

I have some of the dies for my accuquilt and those are my preferred method for doing half squared triangles. I do have to be very accurate with my piecing and sometimes have to make sure that my seam allowance gives me the right finished size. and I do have be make sure when I position my fabric for the cutting, that lengthwise grain of the fabric is aligned with the direction of the cutting....but I really don't like trimming to size after, just seems like another extra step. I have one of the dies that was one I got when the accuquilt first came out where one of the triangles is a bit smaller than the rest....I have been meaning to just throw that die out and get a replacement as it is too late to send back to the factory for a replacement.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I haven't made triangles in years. I just make simple designs for my donation quilts. Since I don't know who likes them and who doesn't. Sometimes the more I learn different ways of doing the same thing the worst I am for it.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I'm not a fan of Thangles at all! I've used them in projects where they were specified and hated them. Did not see any advantage as I still needed to square up the units.

One thing I have found very helpful for squaring up HST's in particular is a rotating mat. I love that thing! Still a very tedious process but much easier spinning the mat than the HST unit.
I agree about the rotating mat. I love mine too. It's like a fun toy that is added to the quilting process. It makes it all more fun.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:27 PM

Accuquilt. As long as you perfect that perfect scant 1/4" seam.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:46 PM

I feel your pain. Just finished a quilt with over 600 2" half square triangles. My first time to use thangles and made a lot of mistakes. Shorten your stitch and do a lock at beginning and end of each stitch line. I pressed mine open to eliminate some of the thickness but will not probably go with a pattern like this again. It was a kit with some yardage cut and pinked so that made it even harder to match up edges.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:48 AM

I am a fan of the Creative Grids 4 in 1 Triangle ruler. In addition to being able to square closed (like the quilt in a day or the perfect slotted trimmer) it will allow you to strip piece those hsts. There is a method that lets you do them to perfect on the first cuts - no trimming!...you end up with a bias edge. (Hey nothing is perfect!) I prefer to precut and then use as leaders and enders - no bias edges. Great way to use up that last 9" of fabric into hst scrap blocks - rather than add to the scrap pile. Yes they sometimes get wonky but I'm not a Everything Must Be Perfect quilter.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgBEB4&adurl=