Assistance with a Singer 66

Old 08-12-2021, 05:29 PM

I think I’ve gone as far as my little coffee table workshop will allow me to go. I was hoping to get the needle bar out, as well as the main and vertical shafts but, they are moving freely a s smoothly so I think I’ll leave them alone. The needle bar can be buffed where it’s at with a Dremel and this way I won’t have to redo timining, I don’t think. Tomorrow starts the cleaning, buffing, shining, and I’m going to repaint the back/tack lever.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9C4FF328-6FED-491B-870A-3F4AB4BF641D.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	635027  
Old 08-12-2021, 06:13 PM

Looks as though you removed the hook assembly ??, holds the bobbin case, so you will be learning to set the timing anyway.

I use a bore brush with sewing machine oil to clean out any holes which have shafts moving in or through them.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:17 PM

And there is a set screw in the body to the right of where the tension assembly is which allows you to remove the housing which holds the tension parts, if you want to clean it which it looks as though you might.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
And there is a set screw in the body to the right of where the tension assembly is which allows you to remove the housing which holds the tension parts, if you want to clean it which it looks as though you might.

THATS WHERE IT IS!! Thanks!

I had a hard time seeing things with the inadequate lighting last night. I’m going to get a head lamp today to see better. I’m also going to set up my laptop and rewatch Bobs videos.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:23 AM

I've got everything put back together, but this BZ 6-8 motor is apparently shot. I took it apart yesterday and cleaned it up but there is a TON of grease and carbon on the windings. When I wired everything back up it spins but it is heavily bogged down and barely moves the machine.

Since they're so cheap, I'm just going to replace it with a new motor. And since I'll be sewing canvas, something with a little more power will be good anyway.

Any suggestions? I've seen a few videos on youtube where Vincent put a 1.2a Alphasew motor on. Everything looks pretty universal.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:34 AM

I hate to see motors end up in an early grave, so I gotta ask: with the belt removed, does the machine spin freely by hand? And by freely I mean when you give the hand wheel a spin it should go for multiple revolutions before it slows down and stops. When you spin it by hand, is it stopping at the same point in the machine cycle each time? I just finished a 66 and had to adjust the feed dogs ever so slightly as there was some binding and the machine stopped in the same spot every time I spun it up. Does the motor spin freely detached from the machine when you power it up? Don't step on the gas and stay there but see if it spins up by itself.

If the machine spins freely and the motor spins freely, you may have a belt problem. You should have a proper v-belt to test it. I posted about the World's Best Sewing Machine, which I happen to own, and the motor ran well, the machine was smooth, but when I hooked it up with the cogged belt that came with it I couldn't get any RPMs, but with a new v-belt and the tension just so, it took off the way it was supposed to.

And if you end up ditching the motor feel free to send it to me!!
Old 08-14-2021, 01:15 PM

There are some fine adjustments that need to be made with the machine because it’s not as smooth as it should be, and maybe I just need to oil it more than I have since it’s been dry for who knows how long, but the motor has issues to. I took the belt completely off the machine and ran the motor without the belt and it’s spotty, and bogged down. It’s makes a whizzing noise that’s not normal and sometimes even more towards grinding. It doesn’t spin at full speed either, and as it ran it got slower and slower and slower. Almost to a full stop. It also has that old electrical burnt smell.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:22 PM

Hmm it sounds as though the motor could be a problem...
Old 08-18-2021, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Hmm it sounds as though the motor could be a problem...

As it turns out, I had the large screw under the wheel that holds the stitch length lever on, too tight. It was causing the fork to not move freely around the cam. I slightly loosened it and now I have a full range of motion. If I “flick” the wheel it will go a few revolutions on its own before stopping.

I also put the new Alphasew 1.5a motor on and at full throttle the machine bounces! It’s crazy fast. Too fast!

Now I just need an extremely good quality rubber V belt.