Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OMG Janome prices going up >

OMG Janome prices going up

OMG Janome prices going up

Old 08-18-2021, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
BTW, the container shipping cost increase was not overnight from $2K to $20K+...

The last time the index was $2K was a year ago, when it usually hovered in the $1500-1800 range. It has been on the rise ever since.

Drewery Container Index
Thanks MKC
Old 08-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

umm better check on my stash of accuquilt cutting mats!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder! QIAD has a them on sale and free shipping. My husband bought the last two water heater hoses there was at Home Depot today. Those hoses always bust at the worst time.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:53 PM

Yes I can verify the increase. I’m a supply buyer for wholesale floral. Our Container with our Christmas trees etc jumped up 60% . To top it off, we haven’t even received it yet and normally it’s in end of July. Expect to see increases across the board for all import product. I’m seeing price increases due to high shipping costs every week. It’s stressing me out massively. One of my vendors said it will be worse than last, year. Makes it really tough to plan. It’s a darn good thing I have fabric, thread and two machines to de stress me after work .
Old 08-18-2021, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

BTW, the container shipping cost increase was not overnight from $2K to $20K+...

The last time the index was $2K was a year ago, when it usually hovered in the $1500-1800 range.

Are you saying it took a year to go from 2K to 20K? Seems that is an extreme spike for a year even if not overnight.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:04 PM

Time for Americans to start manufacturing things again so we don't have to have items delivered from all over the world.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post

The last time the index was $2K was a year ago, when it usually hovered in the $1500-1800 range.

Are you saying it took a year to go from 2K to 20K? Seems that is an extreme spike for a year even if not overnight.
It did, but the OP referenced a site's comment that made it sound like this was an overnight change that had just occurred (so everyone, buy now!), not a ramp up over the past year.

Analysts expect mid/late 2022 for things to be back to pre-container-shortage level.

It's kind of like the dimensional lumber price spike. That's on the downslope now.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Time for Americans to start manufacturing things again so we don't have to have items delivered from all over the world.
Yes, Yes and Yes.
We buy American made as much as possible, so we read packages a lot.
Today we looked for a bottle of “USA made” hand sanitizer (found it).
Old 08-18-2021, 06:43 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Of course, companies would have to buy land, build factories, hire people at $15/hr, plus vacation, sick leave, 401k, etc. to do this. It's not an overnight solution. It's been decades moving things offshore; it would take decades to reverse the process (and the product cost will be higher because of the cost to manufacture here).

Old 08-19-2021, 01:18 AM

I am more concerned about the price increases of our everyday needs......food, gas, medicines, toiletries, etc. than I am about the price of sewing machines. While the prices of the big things are important, more so are the items we need every day. Have you priced milk, bread, eggs, poultry, meats, produce lately? What is the price of gas in your area? The prices are much higher than this time last year, and most of those products are produced in the USA.
I am afraid we are in for some rough times.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:27 AM

I have the janone 6500MC, the Janome 1600P, and an older model from the 1980's that is a Janome but was sold by Sears under a different name ( New Home?), and an old Singer (19K rings a bell). The last two are packed away in the closet as there was just no room for them in the sewing room. Plus in the living room is a Singer Treadle that I bought just for the legs and cabinet and then found out it had the machine in it. Guess I'l be hanging on to these machines for a couple years...they may come in handy.