Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The vintage quilts go home! >

The vintage quilts go home!

The vintage quilts go home!

Old 08-25-2021, 06:12 AM

Default The vintage quilts go home!

I know I've already told the story about the my husband's cousin that found 7 quilt tops that her great grandmother made more than 50 years ago. The cousin found them under a bed when cleaning out her mom's house. The mom had gone to a home. She just passed a week ago.

Anyway, the quilt tops were given to me to finish and I was honored to do that. Some had to be repaired and completed first, some had to have seams resewn. But, I got all 7 done and this past weekend we traveled to St Louis to give them to her. They brought us some things they'd found in the shed so it was an even exchange. I feel we got the better end of the deal.

Some of you wanted to see pictures of the cousin when she opened up the quilts so I got a few views for you all. As you can see, she loves them. That makes me very happy.

This picture shows her reading the label I put on each one. Thanks to all of you, I was able to write each quilt's name or block name on the label along with a picture of the great grandmother and other important information. The cousin didn't even know her great grandmother's full name. She had died before the cousin was born. But, another cousin did the research and got that information along with a picture of the quilt maker and her birth and death date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pam quilts 1.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	635185  
Old 08-25-2021, 06:13 AM

Such a joyous moment. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 AM

This is the grandmother's flower garden quilt and one of the Pontiac star quilts. There were two of those.

Name:	pam quilts 2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	635186   Click image for larger version

Name:	pam quilts 3.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	635187  
Old 08-25-2021, 06:15 AM

One last picture with me..... and the Boston Commons quilt. Oh my, that one was a big one!

Name:	pam quilts 4.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	635188  
Old 08-25-2021, 06:17 AM

What a fun time we had passing off the quilts to the cousin. I know they will be loved and shared with the next generations. Thanks for looking at my pictures. The vintage quilts are now home!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:19 AM

Beautiful heirlooms! You’ve done a wonderful job quilting and finishing your ancestor’s work. I love your tee shirt too!!! Nice to meet you!—Toogie
Old 08-25-2021, 06:33 AM

What a kind and generous gift you gave to her and generations to come. They look wonderful. It was so thoughtful to put her great grandmother's info and picture on the back too. Thanks for the pictures and lovely story.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:39 AM

Beautiful end to a beautiful story. I'm so glad you were able to do this for the family. So many times unfinished quilts just get tossed aside & even thrown away. What a blessing you were to the family to be able to restore & finish these.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:41 AM

What a wonderful thing you did for your husband's family! I hope they realize what a priceless gift you gave them.

Daffy
Old 08-25-2021, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Wow! You are The Woman! I am so impressed that you got them all finished and delivered, no less.