Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Quilt Patterns >

Flannel Quilt Patterns

Flannel Quilt Patterns

Old 08-26-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Flannel Quilt Patterns

any help someone can givCould anyone tell ,e where I can obtain a free flannel quilt patterns a flannr men? I would like to make my son-in-law a flannel quilt for Christmas. Any help someone can offer would be so appreciated!!
Thank you
Old 08-26-2021, 12:44 PM
bj

I made one for my grandson out of flannel that was a rag quilt. It turned out very nice.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Choose a favourite pattern that you like ........ then make it with flannel!
Old 08-26-2021, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

You can use flannel with most patterns. I agree with bj that flannel lends itself especially well to rag quilts. I like to add some corduroy to rag quilts. You can also mix flannel with your quilter's cotton.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:50 PM

just remember to use 1/2 inch seams if doing a "rag" quilt. Have loads of fun!!
Old 08-26-2021, 02:08 PM

Go to YouTube and type in "rag quilts" in the search bar and you will see many tutorials on making rag quilts. You don't have to make a rag quilt though just because you are using flannel. It is just a popular quilt for flannel as you will see in the videos.
As someone else mentioned, you can make any pattern you like using flannel. Just find a tutorial on YouTube of a quilt you like and use the flannel instead of quilting flannel. You could also make a quilt top from pre-cuts, and than use flannel on the back to add warmth to it. There are no specific rules. Just preferences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fia6...=Tamara%27sJoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLZy...nel=EricaArndt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpgy...=Fons%26Porter
Old 08-26-2021, 02:22 PM

I like making my flannel quilts out of simple patterns that call for larger pieces....definitely no triangles and nothing smaller than 2.5 inches square. I actually have made several out of the first turning twenty quilt. pattern. works well with fat quarters as you use up most of the fat quarter and have very little waste and just a few seams. Make it a bit larger than you want the finished size to be as flannel does shrink more than quilting cotton. Or pre wash your fabric if you are using yardage.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:23 PM

Here you go. I love Bonnie Sullivan's patterns, they're mostly done with flannel, and the colors are perfect for men.
https://www.allthroughthenight.net/c...ital-downloads
Old 08-26-2021, 05:42 PM

Flannel is one of those fabrics I *always* prewash because of the shrink. I once measured a loss of over 2" on one particular piece! (Results may vary). That's well beyond acceptable "crinkle". I do feel that flannels work well with Big blocks in a staggered cascading brick pattern. Pattern also works well for masculine quilts.

It will be a lovely gift. Good fortune!
Old 08-27-2021, 04:41 AM

I love this pattern. I started it once with the wrong choice of fabric and ended up throwing it away. It's simple (no matching seams), but made in these colors looks spectacular. I love the quilting as well.

bkay