Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please Help Identifying Machine >

Please Help Identifying Machine

Please Help Identifying Machine

Old 08-27-2021, 03:42 AM

Default Please Help Identifying Machine

I'm seriously tempted to get this treadle: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-furnit...ine/1582578077

My Mom went and looked it over yesterday, and it appears to be complete and in good condition except that the needle is bent so that it hits the foot, and the needle clamp screw is missing.

I'm guessing it's made by National, although I haven't been able to find any pictures that match. If it is, would it take a 20x1 needle?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: fixed link
Old 08-27-2021, 05:34 AM

I'd say that is a National. I have one very similar and it does have that same decal pattern.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:31 AM

It's in lovely condition!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:02 AM

When your mom checked it did she confirm that the shuttle is still there? Given that there are attachments, I would guess it is, but I would not buy it unless I knew for sure. Shuttles can be difficult to replace.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone! Macybaby, if you had/have one with the same decals that confirms it for me. My only hesitation was because of the VS/front tension/bed mounted stitch length combination, but I couldn't think of any better match.

NZQuilter, it is in really good condition - it's clearly been valued all its life, and not left outside or in a damp basement or anything. The current owner never sewed on it - she used it to display handmade dolls. I very rarely see cabinets that look this nice around here.

JoeJr, the shuttle and one bobbin are there. Looking closer I don't think all the attachments are for this machine (it has top clamp feet, and some of the attachments are side clamp), but there is at least one hemmer that looks right. I've been looking for a treadle that doesn't need a lot of wood restoration for about 6 years, so I'm willing to be patient looking for accessories.

The only problem Mom noted is that the screw to hold the needle in place is missing, and the needle is bent and jammed in place. I had asked her to bring a needle to compare length, but she wasn't able to get the existing one out of the machine. This seems fixable, though.

Now to see if the seller will hold it for me until Labour Day...