Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué technique >

Appliqué technique

Appliqué technique

Old 08-27-2021, 03:39 AM

Well, I don't know who taught me to applique, but It's not the methods described here. I draw the reversed design on the back of the main piece, then "cover" a section( on the correct side) with desired fabric to be carefully straight stitched to outline. Then I carefully trim close to straight stitch line. When all colors are added, then I satin stitch to applique. I am currently working on a project that I created on a whim! I used a stained glass pattern for the seahorse. Seashells to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	seahorse2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	635197  
Old 08-27-2021, 04:16 AM

aashley333---that is a beautifully done applique!!
Old 08-27-2021, 04:33 AM

For those of you who use freezer paper, how do you remove the freezer paper once it is appliquéd?
Old 08-27-2021, 06:30 AM

I now do mostly raw edge applique with a small straight stitch or blanket stitch along the edge. I used to do needle turn applique though. The method I used was to trace the pattern piece and cut out using a slightly less than 1/4 inch seam. Then I finger pressed along the traced line. It’s a method used by Piece O’ Cake, and they have YouTube videos on it.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:59 PM

Jshep -
For me, it depends on the shape/size of the piece. If there's a nice 1/2" relatively straight section of applique, I leave that to last and use hemostats or a crochet hook to grab the paper and bring it out, then stitch up the last 1/2". The alternative is to make a 1/2" slit in the 'backing' fabric in the center of the appliqued piece and again use hemostats or crochet hook to grab and pull out the freezer paper through the back (often in torn pieces).
Old 08-27-2021, 09:15 PM

I recently took a Zoom class by Irene Blanck of Focus on Quilts where she taught needle turn appliqué for her pattern ‘Matilda’. She showed how various appliqué techniques work best with different shapes and sizes. I made 3-4 12” blocks and decided that I preferred using templates, starching under the edges, using Roxanne glue to hold the appliqué in place and then hand stitching it down. As already mentioned, I think every method has advantages / disadvantages and one must try until they find which works best for them. I must admit, I’ve heard so many compelling endorsements of the appliquick method that I plan to try it, too.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:35 AM

Storm water- thank you for the reply. I thought I had seen somewhere to make a small slit and then pull the paper out.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:30 PM

Back basting applique is my go to appliqué method. I have tried several and this one seems to work best for me. I'm currently working on a Boston Album quilt. It is similar to needle turn. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:54 AM

I’m another one that uses the Appliquick method and tools. Edyta Sitar (sp?) has a great tutorial and her work is stunning.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:13 AM

I have to admit, I don't do much applique...but I like doing by embroidery machine. Yep...have to buy the applique designs....but I really don't like needle turn. Have to keep a box band aides close by. I do some raw edge and use my machine to stitch down the edges usually with blanket stitch.