Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with 60 degree tree skirt fabric needs >

Help with 60 degree tree skirt fabric needs

Help with 60 degree tree skirt fabric needs

Old 08-30-2021, 12:02 PM

Default Help with 60 degree tree skirt fabric needs

OK, sorry to start one of those threads, but I'm placing an order to do a two sided tree skirt, one side will be 6 pieces (so each will be a 60 degree triangle) the other will use my dresden wedge and that one is 18 degrees.

The 60 degree side I'm just going to pick 6 different fabrics (and use the scrap for other stuff) the fabrics are directional so I need them to be long enough so the triangle fits. The problem is I don't own the ruler I want yet (the 6.5" x 24" with the 60* angle marked on it) so I can't measure it on another fabric to see how much I need. I will be wanting the skirt to be around 45" or so (doesn't have to be exact) so I'll need it to go to the 23" mark. So measuring from the edge using the 60* line up to 23" mark how many inches of fabric is that? Is half a yard enough? Will I need to go to .75 yds? I tried to look this up online and just can't find what I need. So I'm sorry to bug everyone, but I need it ASAP.

thanks!!
Old 08-30-2021, 12:33 PM

Having a brain-fart day, yeah, it's really been THAT kind of day. I need the triangles to be 23" so the fabric needs to be that, not the ruler! Duh! I tried to delete this post, or at least edit it and I guess I can't.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:09 PM

If you use the 60 degree line on a 24" ruler, the fabric needs to be 16.5" wide and 23.5" long.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:46 PM

I would just make a template out of paper or cardboard in the shape you want to figure out how much you'll need. I am NOT a math whiz. Visual works best for me
Old 08-31-2021, 03:11 AM

So - correct me if I am wrong - you want the cut the triangles to be 23" on all three sides? and you are trying to figure out how "tall" the triangle is? A 23" triangle is 19.9" tall

If you want the finished triangles to be 23" on all three sides i would cut them 24" and a 24" triangle is 20.8" tall.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

You will (theoretically) need to cut 20 sections/segments of the 18 degree ruler for the 360 degree circle on the "other" side.

Are you plannning to make this as a round circle? Then there would be no hassle of attempting to line up a six segment side to a 20 segment side.

Anyway - depending on how you choose to line up the designs of the six segments -

Approximate dimensions:

For a 44 inch (finished) diameter skirt:

Maximum length of fabric would be 22 inches plus seam allowances - I would go with 24 inches of fabric - 1/2 diameter plus seam allowances

Minimum length would be "height"* - which would be the(square root of( 22 squared - minus 11squared )) + seam allowances

square root of (484 - 121) + seam allowances

square root of 363 + seam allowances
19.06 + 1/2 to 3/4 inch

Approximately 20 inches for "height"

I checked four of my rulers to see how the 60 degree line was placed - one had the angle lines starting at the center of the ruler, two of them had the angle lines start at the corner of the ruler, and one had the angle lines start "somewhere" on the sides of the ruler.

The "approximate" height of an equilateral triangle is about 0.9 times the length of a side. Example: (0.9 x 22) = 19.8

The "less approximated" height of an equilateral triangle is about 0.87 times the length of a side. Example: (0.87 x 22) = 19.14

In my opinion, for most quilting projects, rounding up at the second decimal point when doing calculations is "close enough" .

Scale is approximate on drawing. I should have made it a bit taller than I did.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	how much.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	635254  

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-31-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:56 PM

I have a large 60* triangle and I laid two long rulers along the edges to see how much fabric you would need. To cut a triangle that will be 23" from the center of the base to the center of the point (which will give you the 45" diameter), you will need 27-28" of fabric. Each side will be 27-28" long. Those 6 triangles will be huge! I think maybe you want to invest in a 60* triangle to make cutting this easier, It doesn't have to be real big, because the angle will just extend out farther, the taller the triangle gets. Hope this helps.