Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Kimberbell Bench Pillows >

Kimberbell Bench Pillows

Kimberbell Bench Pillows

Old 08-29-2021, 04:45 PM

Question Kimberbell Bench Pillows

Hi. Has anyone worked on the Kimberbell Bench pillows? I'm relatively new to machine embroidery, and have been working on a bench pillow. I keep breaking needles when embroidering through multiple layers and threads. Does anyone else have this problem? What needles do you like to use? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Old 08-31-2021, 05:09 AM

I am not much help....I have usually embroidered the design first through just the stabilizer and fabric and then assembled the project....but I would try going up a size on the needle. I think my machine manual suggests using a size 90....
Old 09-01-2021, 04:00 AM

I have made several of their pillows.

There can be many different causes of thread breaks to trouble shoot. What needle type/size are you using? Needles should be changed after about 8 hours of stitching time. I've been using micro-tex 80/12 for most projects including dense embroidery.designs. Metallic threads usually need a net over the spool to prevent it unwinding too fast.

What thread are you using? I seldom have issues with Floriani, Brother or Glide threads. Check the path of the thread. You may need a small spool cap on the end of the spool. If there is resistance with the thread coming off the spool, there will be breakage. You may want to slow down the machine when stitching the thicker areas.

Did you hoop the project or float on top of stabilizer? What stabilizer are you using? Sticky back or sprays can cause the needle to become gummy.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:50 AM

We were told to use Organ needles. Maybe they are titanium?
Old 09-01-2021, 10:20 AM

Thanks, everybody for the feedback! I appreciate your expertise and knowledge!

I've used different needles, and now have the Microtex. Thanks for the tip on Organ needles. I tend to buy Schmetz, but will try Organ. What type and size of Organ needles?

I'm using Glide thread, and I do use a net on all threads because the thread is on a stand. I'm not sure there is a way to put a cap on the thread spool when it is on a stand, but will try it. I'm using no-show mesh in the hoop and SF101. I don't think the needle is getting sticky or gummy.

The thread only breaks when it is going through many layers of thread. It's a fun project, but the needle and thread breaking is frustrating. I looked on the Kimberbell website for tips or a "community," but didn't see anything. It would be nice if they had something like that!
Old 09-01-2021, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I think maybe the weight of the heat and bond was too heavy to the multi-layers required for your pillow. Next time try a light weight bonding sheet. Go very slow while going through so many layers and don't pull very fast. Perhaps lower the speed of the machine if you have that capability.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the helpful update.

The glide thread probably doesn't need a net. Is it the big cone? Put it on a thread stand. Make sure it is coming off the spool without twisting. If it is on your machine, use a small cap like this to prevent the spool from wobbling.

I use Glide for stippling on the embroidery machine but not general designs. It looks like it is 40 weight which is the same as embroidery threads.

Is the 101 on the backing fabric or on the applique fabrics? You probably don't need it for applique. You can lay the fabric down over the tack down stitch and then trim the excess away. I have used a sheer mesh (not no show mesh) to stabilize applique but not 101.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	635277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	635278  
Old 09-08-2021, 03:48 PM
Gay

I usually use only jeans needles for embroidery. Also find 1000 stitches per minute will break threads, so I slow mine down to 800 or 600 - it's slower but it works for me.