Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos >

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

Old 08-22-2021, 07:55 AM

DJ, I love how your churn dash looks in those busy fabrics! I have picked out my fabrics for the block and hope to work on it sometime this week, after I finish my Harriet's Journey blocks for the month.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:27 PM

Your August block is beautiful. I have been following this thread, hoping to do some of them. I have the fabrics, but my mother has been in the hospital more than once, so I am quite delayed. But it has been very enjoyable watching you guys. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 08-23-2021, 02:18 PM

Here's my August block. Now to get back to the Quilting Life BOM; I'm several months behind on that one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7029_Fotor.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	635158  
Old 08-23-2021, 04:16 PM

Your August block is gorgeous! I love your fabric choices. Probably my favorite block so far!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:57 AM
DJ

Joe's Mom ~ Great August block! I like The Quilting Life BOM better (mostly because of my fabric choices), and since it comes earlier in the month, I find it easier to keep up with.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:10 PM

It's been so hot here. The heat saps my energy. Thanks for posting the pictures! It's nice to see them.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 AM
DJ

Well, the September block is a Cathedral Star block. I don't see myself sewing any curves any time soon.

Coincidentally, I recently saw this tutorial on the forum by fatsewcat and was interested in trying it:
10 Minute Block Variation (On Point).. .pdf now attached to post 3

I may use this technique, increasing the size to make 4 6 1/2" blocks, sew those together into the 12 1/2" block for this BOM. I kind of wanted to use my focus fabric in the centers, but it is a light color, so putting a dark fabric underneath it may not work, and I don't really want to put a third fabric or interfacing in between.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-12-2021, 09:51 AM

My reaction when I saw the block was, 'Ugh.' But I'll give myself some time to get used to the idea of attempting the curves. I actually do have a set of curved templates, but I don't know what size block or what sort of block they're intended for.

That darned PDF is very long and confusing. It's going to take me some time to figure out which parts of it, if any, I need to print out.

DJ, thanks for linking to that tutorial. I didn't grasp it on my first try (but it often takes several readings for something to make sense to me).
Old 09-12-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma’sgirl View Post
Your August block is beautiful. I have been following this thread, hoping to do some of them. I have the fabrics, but my mother has been in the hospital more than once, so I am quite delayed. But it has been very enjoyable watching you guys. Thanks for the inspiration!
Grandma'sgirl, are you printing out the patterns each month so you can do this when time allows?
Old 09-12-2021, 03:30 PM
DJ

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
My reaction when I saw the block was, 'Ugh.' But I'll give myself some time to get used to the idea of attempting the curves.
I'm having another "think" about it, too. We'll see what I end up doing.

I might really like to give this block a try based on a couple concidences ... The blogger's last name is the same as my DD's married name (married a German man); and she also received a masters degree in aerospace engineering. She never did get a job in that field, as she ended up more interested in physics than engineering.

Great idea for Grandma'sgirl to be sure to get the patterns printed out.

Last edited by DJ; 09-12-2021 at 03:33 PM.