Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging a Bargello - Surf Song Pattern >

Enlarging a Bargello - Surf Song Pattern

Enlarging a Bargello - Surf Song Pattern

Old 09-16-2021, 01:42 PM

Default Enlarging a Bargello - Surf Song Pattern

I would like to make a bargello quilt, following Eileen Wright's Surf Song pattern from her book Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts. She gives 2 patterns, one for a queen sized quilt, the other for a 48.5 x 46.5 sized quilt. I would like to make more of a lap quilt, roughly 48ish x 65ish.

I did see posts here where each strip was made larger by 0.5" (both horizontal and vertically). This resulted in a quilt 66" x 67", which is closer to what I would like, but too wide ideally. (This was posted by Eddie some years ago). My first bargello quilt - "Surf Song"

Can I simply add the number of strips to make up the size I want both horizontally and vertically? I was looking at the diagram in my book, it occurs to me that I would not be adding the full pattern if I simply add a few rows. I'm not sure if that would matter though.

Do you think that would work? I am worried that what seems simple to me will have an unexpected outcome that won't look right.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I love that pattern. It's on my list! Good luck and let us know what worked for you.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:37 AM

Yes, you can just keep adding strips until you have the size you want. I think it will look fine, since the pattern repeats - you just have to continue the pattern.

That's going to be beautiful - good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:27 AM

I’ve been wanting to make one for veterans, red white and blue but I need 60x80 for QOV. Let me know what you did and how it came out. Good luck and I think this is so pretty in any color.