Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Elns Supermatic case versatility >

Elns Supermatic case versatility

Elns Supermatic case versatility

Old 08-16-2021, 08:16 AM

Default Elns Supermatic case versatility

This weekend I chased down a Supermatic. I ended up with 7 machines including this parts Supermatic which was being kept ( gasp) outside. For those of you interested in how the cases work, I am sending you these pics. Mind you this was the first opening and the machine was untouched. After I got it out I found the drive was locked and so was the controller innards. ( It should bea fun challenge to see if I can save it. but. to the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vsm havanna Elna Supermatic case closed c.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	635074   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsm havanna Elna Supermatic case peek 2  c.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	635075   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsm havanna Elna Supermatic case open c.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	635076   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsm havanna Elna Supermatic case bed extension c.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	635077   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsm havanna Elna Supermatic case extension  3 quarter cc.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	635078  

Old 08-16-2021, 08:23 AM

Now that is super cool! I've seen pictures of the machines before, but never seen the case like that.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:35 PM

That's why I posted it. And hey, I got the presser bar to lift and drop. I'd never seen rust on a cleated timing belt before.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:23 AM

I purchased one of those for $25 to give to my daughter. It was a very neat machine, had all the cams in a (to me!) hidden compartment in the front. Even with oiling, it was always a noisy machine.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:14 PM

If it's noisy it's out of adjustment or it needs the drive wheel replaced. These are rubber and they develop "flat" spots. Makes the machine very noisy indeed. Easy fix. Machine with a new drive pulley will be one of the quietest machines you can imagine.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:34 PM

My Elna 62C (the light blue) which is a few years newer has a case that converts to a bed, too. It is very quiet.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:58 AM

My daughter ended up selling that machine to a friend. I don't know where it is now but I hope it's doing well!
Old 09-23-2021, 05:29 AM

Back in the 70's I bought myself an Elna SU62 which was blue and not green so maybe a bit newer. It had cams to go with it and it sewed so beautifully. I never had it in a repair shop in all the years I had it. It traveled thru many states with me too. Think the only thing that broke on it was the little white square knob you moved sideways but now can't remember what it controlled. I sold it like an idiot in 2000 thinking I didn't need 2 sewing machines as my new one was the Viking Designer 1 combo. I tried to buy the machine back for twice what the gal paid me but she wouldn't budge, she wanted to keep it.

These machine are basically all metal inside except like the little white knob and the cams. Loved that the case doubled up as the table too. The case is metal too so strong. Still wish I had that machine back.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 AM

Super cool, I have never seen anything like it, thank you for sharing
Old 09-23-2021, 11:27 AM

Mine is a Supermatic Star series No. 33. It's a flat bed machine with 5 built in stitches. No cam capacity. Horizontal rotary hook that looks like it was made by a Swiss watchmaker. It was. The Tavaro company in Geneva made clockworks. The one QuiltMom gave her daughter has the same set-up. Swiss made, very high quality precise machines. These machines purr like kittens.