Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First thing I have ever sewn >

First thing I have ever sewn

First thing I have ever sewn

Old 09-23-2021, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Well done!
Old 09-23-2021, 06:16 AM

You did great! All that matters is that you enjoy what you're doing.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:14 AM

Great job, there are quite a few men who sew and quilt. (My husband was one). I think you are hooked now!
Old 09-23-2021, 07:58 AM

Wax on, wax off. You can't be successful in sewing anything until you learn the basics. I say, your mom is a genius.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:44 PM

Yes, you did very good. I wish my first quilt top looked like yours. My seams were all over the place. Tried to say it was the design., but I don't think I fooled anyone. Getting good at matching your points and intersections should be helpful in learning to upholster as well. Looks like you got what it takes, so keep it up.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:13 PM

Oh I wanted to add my first thing I made was a gown. We were a family of 3 girls, me being the youngest. Mom bought us a pattern with a high yoke and skirt of gown gathered to fit. She also had a bolt of plisse’ fabric. She told us to read our pattern guide and if we needed further guidance to come to her, otherwise we were on our own. My oldest sister and I got our gowns made and I must say that were pretty good. We always said if Mother had not made our middle sisters gown, it was possible she would have slept naked! -lol-She was determined she was not going to learn to sew! …I think in later years she might have regretted her stubbornness a time or two.
I hope you got a laugh-Toogie
Old 09-23-2021, 02:44 PM

Wow! Looks great to me. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Edr View Post
I am trying to learn auto upholstery and need to learn how to sew, so I ask my mother who is 84 to teach me. So she shows up at my house with a bag of fabric and says make a quilt. I ask her if she was going to help, she said I just did, gave you something to sew. See you in a week and be finished with the top!

I ask but what do you want it to look like? She said a quilt, duh! She said I have been around her and my grandmother quilting all my life I can do it. Oh and by the way these pieces are from your great nieces baby blankets so don’t mess it up there is no more material.

talking about pressure, I did not have enough material left to make one more square.

it gets better so after she sees the top, she said that looks fine, now I need my driver seat in my van recovered. So I repaired it last week sewed in new panels in the cloth seat and reinstalled.

So I am confused, am I an upholster, quilter or just a man with a 2 sewing machines that will sew whatever someone brings me? Probably the latter. Because I also repaired my wife’s bra my dog chewed the strap into on..

all I know is I enjoy sewing.

You are a quilter AND an upholsterer, AND a man with 2 sewing machines! Just change the conjunction of “or” to “and.” And if you don’t mind my saying, your first quilt is lovely! I am impressed that you managed so well with stretchy fabric. Quilting with cotton will be so much easier!
Old 09-24-2021, 04:36 AM

Your story is much like mine. At 21 ( I'm now 69) my mother came to the house with a sewing machine and said "here, learn to sew." and then left. It was perhaps the greatst gift mom ever gave to me...the ability to make my own mistakes and rectify them. I've since made men's clothing (matching suits for a CW band), worked in a bridal shop doing alterations, made childrems clothing, curtains, and lately quilts for the last 20 years.
You can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck to you!
Old 09-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Edr

Thank you all! I will be finishing the quilt this week and will share the completed project. I now own a serger so more fun!