Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok Quilters...What is your #1 reason for why you enjoy Quilting ! >

Ok Quilters...What is your #1 reason for why you enjoy Quilting !

Ok Quilters...What is your #1 reason for why you enjoy Quilting !

Old 09-24-2021, 10:44 AM

Love quilting, it is so relaxing and fun and always for me has a since of accomplishment.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:38 AM

I love quilting for customers thinking that maybe, just maybe I helped create an heirloom!
Old 09-24-2021, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I am gratefull to have such a wonderful hobby. I also love sewing clothing for others and gardening. It is a blessing to have found it so early in life.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:17 PM

I love making something out of "nothing" . . . that is, making scrap quilts from odds and ends of fabric that others might consider too small to save. I enjoy string piecing, crumb piecing, and sometimes putting together eclectic combinations of the two plus scrap blocks. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to make something beautiful out of an odd assortment of pieces and fabrics, with a uniting fabric holding the whole design together.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:42 PM

I love that I can take a pile of fabrics, apply a little math, cutting, and sewing, and create a one of a kind gift for someone that will give them hugs from me for a lifetime.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:35 PM

I have always loved working with fabric and I love piecing.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
For me it is a hobby I can enjoy regardless of the weather and the end results in a beautiful, yet practical item that can be used every day. The level of detail and effort is also up to me, it is also a hobby that can be enjoyed solo!
You wrote this so well and it fits me fits me so well. It is also a source of artistic expression for me when I make art quilts.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:49 AM

Synnove- that is exactly how I feel about quilting.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:18 AM

It's so interesting to read each person's reasons for quilting. I started quilting because my DH suggested it. The women in his family quilted and I've always loved the look of quilts in any room. When we'd visit his family we always slept under a quilt and they just feel different, like your bed covers giving you a hug. And he would tell me who made the quilt and stories about watching them quilt them when he was little. Those ladies taught me a lot but they used the old methods, bless their souls. I still have some of those quilts and cherish them.

For me, quilting is an expression of my ideas, a message to give on to the next generation or a memory to share with them when I'm gone. I love the challenge of a new skill learned. I welcome taking a seam apart to learn how to make something better. It's almost like I'm honoring all those quilters before me as I create something for the next person.

Being a quilter is who I've become.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:32 AM

I have loved quilting since 1972 with the family. And bought a lot of fabric before we retired. In 2013 I almost went blind in my right eye, and optic nerve did blind me in the left eye. It has slowed me down to more petting the fabric than sewing it. I hope I can find that love again, and complete a quilt or two, but have failed so far. I no longer drive nor have anyone who loves quilting to drive me anywhere to get encouraged again. Husband is 79 years and hates drive very far, so I don't ask it of him.