Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for quilters in humid areas >

question for quilters in humid areas

question for quilters in humid areas

Old 09-26-2021, 10:48 AM

I live in Arkansas where the humidity sometimes gets so high you almost need a snorkel to breath outside. I've never had any of my sewing things to rust. But of course like one poster said, when it just starts to get 'warm' I switch my unit from Heat to Cool. Never open the windows because of allergens.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:12 PM

Your location says upstate NY... I'm wondering how far upstate? I live in the Finger Lakes, between Rochester and Syracuse.

I've never been a lover of heat and humidity, so am very thankful for AC - but we did not have it until 10 years or so ago. We do have 2 dehumidifiers in the basement as well.

Even before the AC, though, I don't remember anything inside getting rusty. Is it possible that there was something in the caddy that wasn't stainless? Maybe that's how rust got on them?
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

I grew up in Utica and it was rare for anyone to have central AC. However, if I went back I would get it. Yes, climate change is real.
My brother lives in Syracuse and got central AC last summer. He said he can't believe what a difference it makes.

If I didn't have the AC on I'd be the biggest witch of the Midwest!!! Ugh, we have really hot, humid summers. I don't care what the bill is each month. It's so worth it.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Growing up we didn't have AC and the climate wasn't any different then then now. We sweltered with only fans to use. I hated summer nights and vowed to have AC where ever I lived. So far I haven't broken my vow and I have lived on the west coast and east coast and many areas in between.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I grew up in Utica and it was rare for anyone to have central AC. However, if I went back I would get it. Yes, climate change is real.
My brother lives in Syracuse and got central AC last summer. He said he can't believe what a difference it makes.

If I didn't have the AC on I'd be the biggest witch of the Midwest!!! Ugh, we have really hot, humid summers. I don't care what the bill is each month. It's so worth it.
I'm only about 30 miles from Utica...it's not the money at all...either the initial cost or the monthly bill..it's a fear that I will stay inside on nice days...I love my gardens, and "sort of" acclimate..and just soldier on. We've only had about 2 weeks total of unbearable days...but I am so afraid that if I get AC, I'll just more and more opt for the comfort!
Old 09-27-2021, 04:15 PM

peace and joy....I'm near Utica...no there was nothing in the caddy but my scissors. I've been sewing since I was 9 and joined 4-H...50+ years now, and never had my scissors rust...I just hope this isn't a trend!
Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

donna- I know what you mean. Living where I do now (Columbus) it's hot and humid all summer. We don't seem to get a break.
Not so in upstate NY, although my cousin said it seems to be a lot hotter than when we were kids.

I miss apples more than anything ! (except my brothers haha). New York State apples are beyond wonderful. My Mom used to go to the apple orchards all the time and probably spent thousands in her lifetime on those wonderful fruits! I go to orchards here but the apples are nowhere near as good.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I would never live without AC. Growing up in the 50s noone had AC except a few grocery stores. I always longed for it.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:26 PM

Curious....what brand of scissors were they? Were they new?. The only scissors I have seen rust have been a couple of really old pairs of my mothers. I use them to cut anything not fabric. The old dull fiskers, and ELK (says chrome coated) have not rusted but an old pair solongen made in Germany is the pair with rust....they are very old
Old 09-29-2021, 07:02 AM

My sewing room is in the basement. Every spring through fall I hang a product called DampRid in my sewing room and throughout this level in our home. DampRid comes in several different forms. It does a wonderful job of keeping my room and everything in it dry as I want it. Too much dampness, I hang two. DampRid is easily available in places like Home Depot, Walmart, Meijer, and even Amazon.com.