Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I broke the curse of King Tut! >

I broke the curse of King Tut!

I broke the curse of King Tut!

Old 10-07-2021, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

OneByOne and Sewing Pup ... Following up on your comments regarding machines set to specific threads. Yes, it is true. After I got my Bernina back the one time, I complained the tension was all wrong. I was asked what thread I was using. Aurifil. From then on, I sent Aurifil thread on both top and bottom, with a note for him, asking for the machine to be set for that thread. Yes, from then on, it came on with good tension, with my mainly used thread. Otherwise, then, I adjusted tension accordingly, if/when switching to other threads.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Glad that you found a way to make things work for you!

Aside from telling us the problems you had, you didn't mention what else you have tried to solve your problem. Just some ideas here, in case you haven't thought of these ......... When you switched from King Tut to the Mettler thread, did you switch the needle? King Tut is a coarser thread, thus needs a needle with a larger eye. Plus when doing FMQing you need a different type of needle than when doing regular stitching, such as when you are piecing. Also, tension may need to be adjusted.

Good Luck!!
May your good day of quilting, return for you again, and again and .....
What is the different kind of needle that is needed for FMQ? Others have mentioned using something with a larger eye. I have been using a 90/14. Is that correct? The 90/14 works fine with King Tut if I am quilting with a walking foot.

I didn't know Bernina calibrates its machines at the factory with polyester thread. Good information to know. I have a 1008 -- just a simple mechanical machine, but I have loved it.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:11 AM

Default FMQ needle

Yes I would also like to know what size is recommended for FMQ???
Old 10-07-2021, 08:17 AM

I've been mostly using a 14 universal type needle for my domestic FMQ. I have a bunch of tops to quilt down and I'd like to run some tests and will also be looking for recommendations before my next needle purchase.

I understand "quilting" needles typically don't need super sharp points, but I do like Microtex 14 when I have a top that is primarily batiks or tight fine weaves.

So do you all find a difference/have a preference between universal, quilting, denim, etc?? I'm mostly happy with the 14s but have gone up on size for some projects.

I typically do fairly simple designs, basic meander variations. I'm more likely to use a poly batt than warm and natural.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:21 AM

Sounds like some great discoveries!
Old 10-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
And I agree with the suggestion to change the needle for the King Tut and try a larger eye.
I agree!

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
What is the different kind of needle that is needed for FMQ? Others have mentioned using something with a larger eye.
Not just a larger eye (which will accommodate the thicker thread much better), but a larger needle such as a 16 or an 18 is better for FMQ. When you FMQ, the needle has to be able to withstand the pulling and pushing you do as you sew. Smaller needles have more flex, and if they flex too much you will get skipped stitches. Switch to a larger needle to avoid flexing. This is true of both DSMs and longarms, in fact, a size 18 is pretty standard for longarm quilting.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:16 AM

Normally thread problems, are not the thread or machine, it is your needle. For 40 weight, best to use 90/14 topstitch needle.