Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember when Halloween Was Fun? >

Remember when Halloween Was Fun?

Remember when Halloween Was Fun?

Old 10-08-2021, 02:57 AM
Banned

Default Remember when Halloween Was Fun?

Remember when Halloween was more about fun than about grossing people out? There are two houses in my neighborhood that seem to try and out do each other every year in who can be the grossest and most disturbing. Whatever happened to Jack-O-Lanterns, ghosts and witches? Now it's...well I won't go into detail because some of the stuff is disturbing. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2021, 03:16 AM

Oh yeah, I agree it use to be a lot different. Different in that my Mom would make pans of Rice Krispies treat, cut into squares and wrapped in wax paper to hand out. Long gone times now.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I will never forget the year one of my friends had a party instead of trick or treating. I felt so deprived and vowed never again!
My brother used to go out and get tons more candy than my sister and me. I remember that too haha

We went to a Catholic school so we always had the next day off as it was All Saints Day. My parents would let me have a friend overnight and that was fun. We'd go out together in my neighborhood for trick or treat.

Our neighborhood is pretty much the same as I remember growing up as far as Halloween goes.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Oh for the good old days!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I lived in town until age 11 or so and we were set loose at dark and didn't come home until the last house light went off. All the kids were out and the few adults out were pushing strollers. The older kids had to take the younger siblings and be responsible for them. We moved rural and houses were far apart so not much trick or treating but we had hay rides and big bon fires.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:11 AM

I remember waiting for it to get dark so we could go out! It was so much fun. Just the kids and a scattering of adults who usually stood around talking while we went house to house. One of my neighbors always dressed up as a witch and decorated her house. To get one of her awesome homemade candied apples, you had to walk down her scary front hall and she was sitting there dressed as a witch with a smouldering cauldron. It was scary for a 5 year old, but so much fun!

In my neighborhood now the kids come around in the back of pickup trucks or with their parents in golf carts. A few years ago, I had two parents yelling at each other across the street in front of my house. When got out of their trucks and started into the street like they were going to get in a fight, I turned off the lights and locked the doors. No wonder kids don't know how to behave!
Old 10-08-2021, 07:28 AM

Halloween is still fun. It’s different now for some but I don’t think we get to tell others what’s fun and what isn’t. The world keeps changing. In my experience the good old days weren’t what they are cracked up to be.

I have 6 grandkids. They are all over the place with their costume; some cute, some funny, some gross. They are all having fun.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Halloween is still fun. It’s different now for some but I don’t think we get to tell others what’s fun and what isn’t. The world keeps changing. In my experience the good old days weren’t what they are cracked up to be.

I have 6 grandkids. They are all over the place with their costume; some cute, some funny, some gross. They are all having fun.
True Janie, but we are still allowed to say what was fun for us. And, frankly, the kids today sure don't look like they are having as much fun as we had. They can't have the freedom we had with IMO allowed us to grow and be independent. Of course, they good old days weren't what everyone says, but neither is today
Old 10-08-2021, 08:12 AM

It was so very different back in my day. Rarely was a house decorated as they are now and money was spent on candy. The occasional candy apple or other home made treats were the best!
Old 10-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
True Janie, but we are still allowed to say what was fun for us. And, frankly, the kids today sure don't look like they are having as much fun as we had. They can't have the freedom we had with IMO allowed us to grow and be independent. Of course, they good old days weren't what everyone says, but neither is today
Absolutely, Patrice we are allowed to say what was fun for us. That was my point. When I read that something “used to be fun” it suggests that it no longer is. What’s fun or not is subjective. The things we did for Halloween when I was a kid made my grandmother shake her head. ‘‘Twas ever thus.