Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must I rip out. >

Must I rip out.

Must I rip out.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:22 AM

Angry Must I rip out.

So mad at myself. Just finished sewing my binding to back and noticed half a row of meandering with the top thread pulled to back. Of course I used a royal blue thread on top and white on the bottom.Now that I have seen it I can't unsee it. Something always happens when I hurry.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:32 AM

I probably wouldn't worry about it unless it was in an area where you would see it a lot of the time. I had that problem one time and now I always use the same color top & bottom. Seriously, you could always take a pin, tweezers, or whatever and lightly pull those threads up to see if you can bring the seam more into balance. If the seam goes off the edge, you could undo that part of the binding and pull the blue thread to tighten it up and cut the extra off. You may have to hold it on both sides of what you are pulling. If you pull too hard, you might break the thread, so be gentle.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Chances are when the quilt is washed, the batting will puff up a bit and the thread with pull back in. If the distance isn’t too much, I also would use a pin on the top thread stitches and gently tug the top thread a bit.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Chances are when the quilt is washed, the batting will puff up a bit and the thread with pull back in. If the distance isn’t too much, I also would use a pin on the top thread stitches and gently tug the top thread a bit.
I will wash it later and hope for the best, really not into ripping out. I didn't do anything to fix it while sewing but the next row was fine, must have gremlins in my machine.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:51 PM

Default Yeah

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I will wash it later and hope for the best, really not into ripping out. I didn't do anything to fix it while sewing but the next row was fine, must have gremlins in my machine.
Just finished washing my quilt. All the thread is good, such a nice surprise as a couple spots the blue thread was at least a 1/4 inch loop.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:00 AM

So glad it worked out for you! Isn't it wonderful how that final wash will sometimes resolve stitching issues?? I've been doing quite a bit of quilting for me and started one day off with the wrong bobbin... in my case it was gold on top and royal blue on the bottom and gold/gold thread was not my goal, so I had to take it out. Fortunately, it wasn't all that much, just an hour of "reverse sewing".

Currently I'm doing the hand binding on another top, my machine broke while doing this one and had to go to the shop, about 90% of the quilting is great. About 10% has some pretty bad eyelashing. I've decided to get the binding on and wash first and see how it reacts... I think most of it will be ok. Maybe one entire row will need to be redone but maybe not. Won't know until I'm done.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 AM

I wouldn't pull it out. Quilts are resilient and when washed those threads may be hidden. Now I would love to see a picture of it.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
So glad it worked out for you! Isn't it wonderful how that final wash will sometimes resolve stitching issues?? I've been doing quite a bit of quilting for me and started one day off with the wrong bobbin... in my case it was gold on top and royal blue on the bottom and gold/gold thread was not my goal, so I had to take it out. Fortunately, it wasn't all that much, just an hour of "reverse sewing".

Currently I'm doing the hand binding on another top, my machine broke while doing this one and had to go to the shop, about 90% of the quilting is great. About 10% has some pretty bad eyelashing. I've decided to get the binding on and wash first and see how it reacts... I think most of it will be ok. Maybe one entire row will need to be redone but maybe not. Won't know until I'm done.
I know I said loopes but the correct term is eyelashes. A few were at least a 1/4 inch. So wash before to unset.