Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from MO! Need Advice On a Quilt Please! >

Hello from MO! Need Advice On a Quilt Please!

Hello from MO! Need Advice On a Quilt Please!

Old 10-16-2021, 12:07 PM

Question Hello from MO! Need Advice On a Quilt Please!

Hello everyone! I have a quilt that I had made when my firstborn was about 2. That was 24 years ago. The quilt is a photo quilt that I had ordered from Spiegel.com and I have no information about my quilt after all these years, as far as how it was made or how to care for it, etc. Does anyone know how I can go about cleaning it?
Old 10-16-2021, 04:14 PM

I wish I had an answer for you. Youtube has some videos on what others have done.

There are several things to consider. Is the quilt in good condition? Are any of the seams weak or have they come unsewn? How large is it? Do you know what kind of fabric it is made from? Are there dirty spots you need to pre-treat?
Old 10-17-2021, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 10-17-2021, 05:30 AM

Welcome! Wish I had an easier answer than "wash it and see what happens" but I don't. Even 20 years ago, the photo transfers were washable if they were washable... Use plenty of water, a mild soap and I usually just go warm/cold for the temp.

As Barb said, check for repairs pre-wash. Size is another question for the answer, if this is a baby sized quilt you can wash in a standard home machine. If it is large, you might want to take it to a laundromat and use the extra huge machine. I just finished the hand bindings on two large queen quilts, I design my projects to be washable and wash before I give away so I can fix any problems that spring up. It's today's task to check out my area laundromats (the one I used to use is gone) and see if any of them have two extra large machines so I can do them both at once.

You can also hand wash in the bathtub. Again, use plenty of water and a mild soap that rinses well. You can get in and use your feet or use a plastic laundry basket as sort of an agitator bucket, putting the quilt in it and letting the water go in and out through the holes. You don't want to be picking up that heavy wet quilt by the edges or corners, grab handfuls. If you ever hand wash a quilt, you generally decide you don't want to do that any more