Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I take it all apart? >

Should I take it all apart?

Should I take it all apart?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 AM

I agree with everyone here...keep it and realize that you have already learned from it. You can recognize what you need to do differently on the next one.
My mom has my first quilt, and unless one of my siblings REALLY wants it when she is gone, I would love to have it back. When I gave it to my folks, they didn't care that it wasn't perfect...they loved it because it came from me. So...be proud that you finished it, and use it or not, you can look back on it and remember how good it made you feel to be working on it...and completing it!!!

Patti
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 AM

My first quilt was a learning experience. It had lots of things wrong with it. I gave it to my daughter to have for taking her kids on picnics. I guess that's what she did. Haven"t seen it since.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 AM

The theory we use when concerned about any flaws is: if you can't see the flaws from a galloping horse, then don't worry about it. Move on to the next one, so many quilt patterns, so little time...
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Cminor, I disagree with everybody. You like the fabric and design and you want to take it apart, fix it, use it and feel proud of it. Do it. Be happy with it instead of hiding it and feeling ashamed every time you see it. I have a similar situation with my first quilt and am in the process of adding embroidery and applique to cover some faded spots and make it useable and something i can be proud to use. ;-) You'll be glad you did.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 AM

I vote for keep it. What a great memory of your learning process!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM

I agree. Keep it as is. At our quilt guild when we have speakers come in, they sometimes show their "first attempts" that are a bit "off". As a new quilter I find that very comforting to know that everyone wasn't perfect at first. Besides, you're going to get better and better and that little quilt will remind you of how far you've come. :-)
Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 AM

I would ask myself, "what is it about this quilt that I love? Is it the fabric, the pattern, or maybe the fact that's it's my first?" Once you are clear about that, you can move forward in whatever direction you need to go.
- if it's because you love the fabric, then get fabric that's the same & similar, and make another quilt
- if it's the pattern, you will be sure to repeat it
- if it's the work of first, then fix it
- if it's just the stain, then work on that. There are lots of ideas like covering it up, working to get it out, or even coloring over it.

Do what you need to do to so you're comfortable with the quilt. Personally, I can't imagine taking apart all that quilting and then the seams, but I'm kind of lazy that way and would be too bored by the process.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Keep it the way it is and look back on it and see how far you have come. I gave my first one to one of my granddaughters. When I looked at it a couple of years later I cringed at all the mistakes I had made. She doesn't know the difference and loves it.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:08 PM

remember, nothing is PERFECT but GOD !
That's what makes us HUMAN !
I'd leave it as is.....but keep it...
these quilts become part of you & what a thrill, when you see one of your quilts in your friends home !
Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Leave it be. If you really like the pattern, make another one :-P