Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
July to October 2021  Wall Hanging Swap >

July to October 2021 Wall Hanging Swap

July to October 2021 Wall Hanging Swap

Old 10-20-2021, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Wow! You are new to quilting? This is stunning. I have never even attempted anything like it.
My father ran a re-upholstering business in the summer to add to his teachers salary in the summers. I was his right hand person and learned re-upholstering from him. My Grandmother (his Mother) taught him. They grew up very poor and she made furniture coverings and drapery from feed sacks. I learned very young to knit, needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery etc, but never tried quilting. When I met my husband (25 years ago) his Grandmother was a quilter. I asked several times about learning, and my Mother in law was very critical and would tell me it took decades to learn to quilt well, and that I should not bother. Well unfortunately I let her negative thoughts cloud my quilting ambitions until Covid. I decided that enough was enough with people telling me what I could and couldn't do and decided to watch a bunch of videos and try it. I don't have any fancy quilting machines--just vintage heavy duty Singers and a 1958 Singer 99 which is what I did this piece on. It is a little 3/4 machine I bought at an estate sale and I love it. As it turned out, the biggest issue I have with quilting is I do not have a sewing room or a very large floor area to lay things out--no design walls just a kitchen table and a full size bed.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear. Most quilters are amazing and inclusive but I have ran into a couple like that too. Glad you are coming to join us. What a beautiful story of your family's side and how you are building on that now to quilt. Those old machines are the best. I piece on a Feather Weight but have many older machines my hubby bought for me and fixed up. I do not have a 99, it is on my bucket list. You can do the actual quilting on your vintage heavy duty Singer. Just google and you will even have videos coming up.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Wow Heather! that is fantastic! You have no reason to think less of your work! You may be new but you have great talent! As you say we all started somewhere. I think starting with other kinds of needlework can give a quilter a boost when starting to learn to quilt. I started with crewel work and did several different kinds of needlework before teaching myself to do quilting.

Love your WH!!
Old 10-20-2021, 09:29 AM

Heather, Your wallhanging is very pretty! Love all the bright colors in it and so much detail….

You are definitely farther along then me as I am still plugging away on mine but it will be finished before the deadline.😊
Old 10-20-2021, 12:14 PM

Thank you very much everyone. Your comments are so very kind and appreciated. I cannot wait to get the wall hanging that one of you made.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:26 PM

Forgot to ask--are people putting labels on the wall hangings and if so what info is included for this swap?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Heathermom2opmc View Post
Forgot to ask--are people putting labels on the wall hangings and if so what info is included for this swap?
It's up to you. You can sew on a label or not You can write on the back if you prefer. There is no special way to do it.
I would put on the name of the maker to the receiver and then add the swap name.
This is just a suggestion. You do whatever you like.
Some will use embroidery machine to make a label and some will print it in pen. Anything goes.

Made by Rhonda
for Marion
Rhonda's WH Swap
October 2021
Old 10-21-2021, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Ready to Mail List!

Ok here is the list you must be on!! If you are not on this list you will not receive an address to send to.
You must have a wall hanging ready by midnight on Oct 31 and have let me know you are ready to mail

You must send me a pm letting me know you are ready to mail your wall hanging,
You MUST also let me know when you receive your wall hanging

1.MarionsQuilts
2.R-sea
3.Teen
4.Annaquilts
5.Rumbols
6.Lena
7.Heathermom2opmc
8.M-Fay

Happy Quilting!!
Old 10-21-2021, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Just a Reminder --- 9 days left!
You have until Midnight on the 31st to let me know you have a WH ready to mail.
Remember to send me a PM when you are ready to mail.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:31 PM

Good Evening fellow quilters. I am a last minute it doer at just about everything. I sometimes think I do some of my better work when I am under the deadline. I started my quilt yesterday and today I got it done and it is ready to mail. I will wait for my recipient to get her quilt and post a picture (or I can post it if needed). I will throw out there that it is black/white and purple.

All the quilts posted so are great! You all have done a fantastic job!

Thank you Rhonda for hosting this swap. Been a long time since I’ve made a mini. I had a lot a fun.