Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help selling machine >

Help selling machine

Help selling machine

Old 10-24-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Help selling machine

Thanks everyone for looking at my thread. I am looking for a place that I can be able to sell my Mom's Baby Lock Tiara Quilting machine and accessories . My mother had a machine she bought 8 years ago and used very little before mental capabilities prevented her from using the machine. I see by the rules I am not allowed to sell it on this forum because of my newbie ranking.

So I am asking if anyone would know a place or platform in the Minneapolis MN area that I could sell this machine?

Mom passed from Covid a year ago and we are taking care of things.

Also looking for help on a honest price to sell the machine and accessories for?

Thanks again
Old 10-24-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mom made me sew View Post
Thanks everyone for looking at my thread. I am looking for a place that I can be able to sell my Mom's Baby Lock Tiara Quilting machine and accessories . My mother had a machine she bought 8 years ago and used very little before mental capabilities prevented her from using the machine. I see by the rules I am not allowed to sell it on this forum because of my newbie ranking.

So I am asking if anyone would know a place or platform in the Minneapolis MN area that I could sell this machine?

Mom passed from Covid a year ago and we are taking care of things.

Also looking for help on a honest price to sell the machine and accessories for?

Thanks again
There is a group called "Sew It's For Sale". They have a FB page in addition to their own website.
Also on FB is a group called "Sewing machines, sergers, notions and fabric for sale"
Old 10-24-2021, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother.

It sounds like you were "losing" her even before Covid - which is another battle, altogether.

As far as the machine, I have no idea. I also need to move several machines on - and I am also clueless.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Where did she purchase the machine?
Knowing the circumstances, the original dealer should at least be able to give you a valuation, and may even be willing to purchase it from you.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Where did she purchase the machine?
Knowing the circumstances, the original dealer should at least be able to give you a valuation, and may even be willing to purchase it from you.
The dealer she bought the machine from is a hundred miles away from Minneapolis. Plus after we after looked into the prices they were charging her, we are sure they were taking advantage of her. The first machine she bought from them she paid $15,000 for, while others were selling the same machine for less then $8,000. Then they only offered her a couple thousand on trade in when she bought the smaller machine a year later.

It will get you very angry when you find out the number of people that will take advantage of older people.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:34 PM
mkc

If you are on Facebook, the primary group to sell at would be Longarms and Accessories for Sale. It is a private group (which keeps the scammers and spammers down). You can also try the regular portion of FB Marketplace, especially since you are likely not offering shipping.

That said, watch for scammers, even on FB. Check the profile of a person inquiring and make sure they are local and have some history. I had someone who, after a few messages, was clearly a spoofed account based on their strange questions.

Craigslist used to be an option, but there are horrendous scammers there these days. Do not, under any circumstances, agree to bank check (those can be faked), especially from someone who doesn't want to personally view the item and is having "a friend" pick it up.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mom made me sew View Post
The dealer she bought the machine from is a hundred miles away from Minneapolis. Plus after we after looked into the prices they were charging her, we are sure they were taking advantage of her. The first machine she bought from them she paid $15,000 for, while others were selling the same machine for less then $8,000. Then they only offered her a couple thousand on trade in when she bought the smaller machine a year later.

It will get you very angry when you find out the number of people that will take advantage of older people.
Excuse me, MomMadeMeSew ... you asked for input, I gave you some which is not suitable to you. Perhaps someone else will tell you what you want to hear.

Having just sold a sewing machine, one thing I can tell you is that they don't hold their value the way we feel they should. As with most things computerized, technology moves along quickly, and thus, values deteriorate quickly. Not very "old" in our mindset, often times is considered "ancient" in others. Our machines follow the same trend because of their computerization and the competition out there.

Good Luck to you ... in getting the price that you want.

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-24-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:23 PM

I second becoming a member of "Longarms and Accessories 4 Sale" on Facebook. I'm a member and there are many who are searching for Long Arm machines. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:25 AM
Banned

I'm sorry. It sounds like you've had a couple of tough years. Maybe I can set your mind at ease about what your Mom paid for her first machine and the trade in amount she was given. If her first longarm was a full size longarm with an 8, 10, or 12 foot table, yes, those can easily cost $15,000 new from a dealer. $8000 is about what an owner would get for a used set-up (machine and table) selling it on their own. $2000 for trading the machine in on the Tiara does sound a bit low, however, it would depend on the age and condition; the used inventory the dealer has; and is it the same brand that the dealer specializes in. It's just like a used car in those regards. Look at it this way, too -- the Tiara I think is around $6000. If the dealer gave your mom $4000 or $5000 on the trade, they'd be just about giving her a brand new longarm for a used one, and that wasn't going to happen.
I think you'll get a fair price for the Tiara selling directly to another quilter. Take care, and, again, I'm sorry for your lose. It is never easy to loose a parent. No matter how old you are, it takes you right back to being a child and wanting Mom or Dad because they're the only ones who can make it all better.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:24 AM

Sewitsforsale is [email protected].
bkay