Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
storm at sea >

storm at sea

storm at sea

Old 10-24-2021, 07:37 PM

I’ve only made one small one and I used Wendy Matheson’s trimplates to make it. They quilt turned out great, but the limitation is her rulers only make one size block. Here is her website: https://www.quiltsbywendy.com/

The next time I make one, I will use the Deb Tucker Diamond Recs and Square Squared tools. Her templates make units slightly oversized, and you trim them to perfect size. The points are always a quarter inch from the edge. I love her tools. I’ve used both of these tools to make the units, but I’ve never made a SAS with them. Here is her website: https://deb-tuckers-studio-180-design.myshopify.com/

My quilt is here: https://www.quiltingboard.com/person...s-t209159.html

SAS is my favorite pattern. I can’t wait to see your pictures.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:55 PM

I used paper piecing to do mine.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:37 AM

I made one about 25+ years ago and it was a beauty. But I learned a big lesson. I would never (hopefully) cut out another one out by hand. I have the die to make it with and am planning to make one again very soon. If not by Accuquilt die system then I would get some very good templates for accuracy. The cuts are very important.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:29 PM

I saw a picture of a Storm at Sea quilted wall hanging in the very early '80s and had to make it. I just loved it. So - off I went to the local fabric store, this was when they weren't quilt shops, actual fabric stores that sold mostly garment fabric, and they were mostly blends. I pick out fabrics that I thought would work(blends I am sure), and they did even though I really needed more contrast. I cut - with scissors and templates. I made it, I even finished it, hand quilting with 5 stitches to the inch. I still have it and use it all the time as a TV/couch quilt. It is faded and perfect. Oh - I guess I forgot to mention - it was the first quilt I ever made, biases, 60 degree angles, on points and all. I certainly wasn't going to let an 'advanced intermediate' tag scare me off! Bit in the early '80s, most of us were mostly new quilters! I guess it worked out, after 40 years I am still making quilts!

Anyway - my advice - perhaps have a little quilting experience but be fearless, you can do it!!
Old 12-24-2021, 06:51 PM

Default Storm at Sea

SAS was one of my early quilts also. And it was made in the 80s, I believe. I made cardboard templates, cut everything by hand, pieced and quilted by hand, and it went well. I made it for my son and appliqued sharks in the border! I didn't think it was difficult, but it seemed when we drew around templates and hand pieced it was easier to be accurate than it perhaps may be with machine piecing.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

I have the Go die for this pattern. I made a tablerunner to try the die out. It was fast and easy.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:23 AM

This is one I may give a try. I have heard the name and seen the many stunning variations, Just need to get the courage to start. Saw all the hints about templates and paper piecing. Love the precision of paper piecing until it is time to take off the paper. Yuck! I can't imagine all the little shreds of paper. May investigate some templates or find a friend with an Accuquilt and dies.