Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area >

Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area

Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area

Old 10-26-2021, 10:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Katia View Post
A little late to the conversation, but was looking for ideas for a new machine with a larger throat. I have a Jazz and took it to a repair guy to be fixed because it was doing the same things that everyone was talking about here. The lashing and just general poor stitching when trying to free motion. He told me that one issue with these machines is poor design. The issue is usually in the needle bar. The frame that holds the needle bar is aluminum and the needle bar tends to get a little sloppy. He said he could work on it and get the dropped stitches to stop and for it to work better, but he couldn't guarantee for how long. So I think I will just bring it home and try some of the things mentioned here. Maybe something will work. Hopefully.

But I do think I am going to look into an industrial machine. I watch Donna Jordan a lot and she uses a simple Juki Industrial and I am doing some research to see how well something like that would do for free motion quilting. I know that there are several Juki home machines that are designed for quilting, but do not have a very big throat. Any ideas?
I still love my Brother PQ 1500 for piecing and FMQ. I watch Donna Jordan too. She uses that machine strictly for piecing. I don’t see why you would need an industrial for FMQ. THe Brother is about the same size as Donna’s and much less expensive.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:00 AM

Katia, The problem with my Jazz 2 was that the factory didn't set the tensions properly. The technician who worked on my machine said it was way off. After he worked on it, things seemed to be OK. What is really odd is that before the technician worked on the machine, I could go to maximum tension, it would still lash. Now it does FMQ at a setting about #5, but I have to go pretty slowly.

I get the feeling that to do quilting with a machine, it really needs to be one that is deliberately built for the task. But apparently, most domestic machines can accomplish the task as long as you are patient finding the proper tension, and taking your time with the quilting.

In another thread I mentioned that even a machine that says it can automatically adjust its own tension for FMQ, doesn't mean it can. I had to adjust a computerized machine manually, as automatic just would not work.

Good luck on finding a machine that is right for you.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:53 AM

I have the Janome Professional 6600 which has 9 inches of throat space and just love it. I got it in 2012 and quilt a lot, and do my own FMQ so it is a humming a lot. I have never had it to be serviced as I do my own cleaning. So I am very happy with it and the features it has - knee lift, scissor button, up down feature, stop/start feature which allows me to sew without using the foot feet and the other usual features. I always quilt my own quilts up to and including a king size. The only part I do not like is putting the top, batting and backing together. I still do pin basting - start in the middle and move outwards, sometimes laying out the quilt and repinning. I have started putting good quality, pill less fleece for a backing and then not using batting at all. It does up beautifully and is very soft. Good luck in your sewing machine shopping.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:56 AM

I would look at the Janome 1600P-QC This is probably almost the same as the Viking Megaquilter and Pfaff Hobbyquilter which I don't think are made anymore. These machines were all I believe made by Janome but rebranded. This machine has about 9 inches to the right of the needle. It only does a straight stitch but does it very well and the speed is up to 1600 stitches a minute which is well above what a DSM normally does. I had a megaquilter and had it set up on frame but yep...the neck is a bit short for a frame. A fair number of folks said they used it to free motion quilt as a sit down and really loved the way it worked. I opted for the upsizing to a long arm with a 26 inch neck. If you are planning on quilting a lot of your own stuff....I would recommend getting a dedicated straight stitch machine instead of trying to get one machine that does it all. Why? Because try as they might, machines that do it all simply do not do as good of a job at free motion as a machine just designed to do straight stitch in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:18 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Katia View Post

But I do think I am going to look into an industrial machine. I watch Donna Jordan a lot and she uses a simple Juki Industrial and I am doing some research to see how well something like that would do for free motion quilting. I know that there are several Juki home machines that are designed for quilting, but do not have a very big throat. Any ideas?
Do try an industrial before committing to one. Their speed control is very different than on a domestic. It is generally NOT controllable via pedal pressure - they are simply On/Off machines with a separate speed setting. They generally do not have feed dogs that can be lowered.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:43 AM

I have had the Brothers 1500se for many years and love it. It is the precursor to the PQ1500 and they are great machines with a nice 9" harp space. The PQ1500 is reasonably priced and will give you years of good use.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM

I just recently picked up the Brother PQ1500SL. I spent time on message boards for both Brother and Juki. While owners of each machine seem to love their machines, I felt like I read about more tension issues on the Juki board. I have a couple of vintage machines, so the tension/threading set up was familiar. It really isn't hard, and the threading is very easy after threading a couple of times.

I picked mine up for $650 new about 6 weeks ago at a local shop, which was 75 to 100 less than I saw it posted elsewhere. I just checked and the price has gone up 75 at this shop. My primary reason for getting this machine was to have as a back up for FMQing. I do have another machine that has 11 inches to the right of the needle, but I have to say that since bringing the Brother home, it is my favorite. The throat space is very roomy, I read again and again where people have quilted king sized quilts,even oversized kings, easily. This machine is so very easy to use. Turn on and go. Beautiful stitches. So easy to get a scant 1/4" seam. Love FMQing on it. I just picked up a ruler foot and my first quilting ruler, very easy to use with the machine, and the ruler can be used anywhere around the ruler foot. I found using the ruler fairly easy, so am looking forward to spending time expanding those skills. These machines are built to last, I feel like you can't go wrong with a machine such as this.

I picked up my other machine, an Elna eXcellence 740, on eBay about 5 years ago at a very good price. I feel like I lucked out with the machine honestly. I bought her used from a sewing center. Marketplace on Facebook seems to have a lot of machines for sale. It would be better to be able to try out the machine locally if at all possible, especially since this is only the 2nd machine you are buying. What would be good is to go into any local sewing machine shops you have locally, just to try out different machines. A Pfaff feels different from a Janome, which is quite different from a Bernina. Just to get an idea of what you like/don't like. If there is a machine you really like, perhaps you can find the same model for sale used in your area.

Babylock Jazz II has a large throat area for under $1000. I thought about that machine, but I read to many reviews of people having issues with that machine, so I decided it was not for me.

Have fun looking! Having a machine up to the task at hand definitely increases the enjoyment factor. It doesn't have to be the most expensive machine with the most features. I have rarely used any of the decorative stitches available to me on my other machines. I just love my new Brother, can't say enough good thinks about it!
Old 10-28-2021, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I have the Janome Professional 6600 which has 9 inches of throat space and just love it. I got it in 2012 and quilt a lot, and do my own FMQ so it is a humming a lot. I have never had it to be serviced as I do my own cleaning. So I am very happy with it and the features it has - knee lift, scissor button, up down feature, stop/start feature which allows me to sew without using the foot feet and the other usual features. I always quilt my own quilts up to and including a king size. The only part I do not like is putting the top, batting and backing together. I still do pin basting - start in the middle and move outwards, sometimes laying out the quilt and repinning. I have started putting good quality, pill less fleece for a backing and then not using batting at all. It does up beautifully and is very soft. Good luck in your sewing machine shopping.
I have this machine and love it! Not sure they are still making it though.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
I have this machine [Janome 6600] and love it! Not sure they are still making it though.
It still shows as an active model on Janome's website

Janome 6600P

The successor machine is the 6700P, which has similar features but is a 9mm machine (the 6600 is a 7mm one) and has AcuFeed Flex (the built-in walking foot capability). The 6600 has the older AcuFeed (non flex) built in capability.

Janome 6700P

Don't be tricked by the 6650P. It's a decontented 6700 - fewer stitches and no AcuFeed. It's in the lineup for Internet (and non-dealer, like Costco) sales.