Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a pattern >

Need a pattern

Need a pattern

Old 10-29-2021, 08:18 AM

Default Need a pattern

Hi! I received a phone call from a lady I’ve known all my life but can’t say ever visited. She asked if I could make her a walker caddy. I’m sure the caddy would be simple enough because I was thinking to make it like a saddlebag, going over the top and having pockets on the inside by her and the outside. Have you made any? I was wondering how it attaches to the frame, so it doesn’t flap when she walks and stays put. Any ideas or links maybe to a free pattern?
Old 10-29-2021, 08:25 AM

Here are some I found

https://sewcanshe.com/diy-walker-cad...ewing-pattern/

https://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing...lker-bags.html
Old 10-29-2021, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I have a pattern by one of the major sewing pattern companies. I think it was simplicity. I hope she realizes heavy items could make her unstable if placed un balanced into the pockets. Just trying to be smart here.
Maybe you could ask her what type of items she plans on caring around with her and custom the pockets for her. Another item that might be a nice gift would be to make her an organizer pocket that hangs on the wall near where she spends most of her time. Or perhaps a chair pocket organizer for her lazyboy arms.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Good for you Toogie, for being ready to step up and help this person. Kudos too, to her, for asking, even though the two of you do not have a deep connection. She is in need, and without a doubt will appreciate what you can do to help make her life a little easier.

I haven't made one, but did help a friend plan one she stitched for another friend.
Your saddlebag concept sounds like a good plan.
Then buttons/velcro to secure it in place.

Getting her input will be important ...
* what is she wanting to put in the saddlebag?
* pouches and open pockets are good, and sized accordingly ... cell phone? portable phone? notepad? pen?
* zippered pocket(s) to keep some things a little more secure?
* inside use only? or needs to be weather worthy?
* does she travel with it? if it's going to be folded down, making the caddy so it can stay on, would be helpful
* likewise if it is a sitter walker, placement of pockets may be important for accessibility while sitting
* buttons/velcro/zippers etc. according to her physical abilities to access them
* walkers are different sizes/shapes/heights and different framing, so be sure to check the measurements with her actual walker

You can make it as plain as you want, or perhaps have some fun with it, using colours and fabrics to match her interests. Maybe even a quilt block or two? Quilting will help toughen it all up ... really you are just re-using your purse/bag sewing talents! Maybe a quilt block or two?

Have FUN with it!

Old 10-29-2021, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

There are so many walker caddies available on Amazon for under $20. I would ask her to look at those first, since one of them may be exactly what she wants, and these are made to be durable and lightweight. Then if you still want to make one, you at least know what kind she would like. I would rather spend the time making a nice lap quilt for her.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
There are so many walker caddies available on Amazon for under $20. I would ask her to look at those first, since one of them may be exactly what she wants, and these are made to be durable and lightweight. Then if you still want to make one, you at least know what kind she would like. I would rather spend the time making a nice lap quilt for her.
I like to make quilts too but a caddy is what she wants and needs.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:13 PM

Toogie, I have sent you a PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I made one for my Mom’s walker. It was a simple box type bag with 2 handle straps that went over the front centre bar and buttoned on. All walker are different so you would need to see what type she has.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:03 AM

I made a quick one, needing it temporarily for knee surgery. Folded a kitchen towel lengthwise. Sewed thru fabric vertically to make varying with pockets for coffee mug, phone, book, etc. Then attached to walker using wire shower curtain rings.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:26 AM

I used a bed caddy to attach to bed rail of a hospital bed. I recycled a pair of denim pants for the backside and fabric for the pockets. It had a long "tail" that is supposed to go between mattress, I guess, but I folded it over the rail and secured with a couple of large safety pins. I looked for the pattern so that I could make another one, but can't find exact one.