Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for charity group who needs fabric >

Looking for charity group who needs fabric

Looking for charity group who needs fabric

Old 11-01-2021, 11:21 PM

Default Looking for charity group who needs fabric

I'm almost not a quilter anymore. I have quite a few more tops and quilts to finish so that's my goal for now. I have several health problems so I'm not planning to take on any more new projects any time soon. I am hoping to find a group that makes quilts for forest fire victims, safe houses, etc. People that need a little extra help. Portland claims to be making headway for homeless people. I did my share of that years ago and still have fabric + thread I will never use. I can't drive anymore and the group I was helping has been shut down since the pandemic started. Good fabric stores are getting scarce and fabric is expensive..I used to love Daisy Kingdom! Cotton is all in good condition but smells like my warehouse...never washed. I want to be sure it's going in hands that can use for a good cause.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:48 AM
Power Poster

Bless your heart! So sorry you are no longer able to quilt.

With the cost of shipping your fabric and supplies, I’d suggest you find a charity group locally. I’m sure they would make good use of your fabric and could drive to pick it up.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:17 AM

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with health issues.

I would try and contact quilt guilds in your area. I belong to a guild here in New England. While we have only met twice in person outside since this pandemic started we do meet via zoom and are still doing Charity quilts. Perhaps you can find a still active guild near you that would be tickled to help you out with the stash.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Another good place to donate is to a quilting group at a senior center. We love making charity quilts but sometimes run out of funds.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:58 AM

I"m sorry for your health problems. I agree with donating locally. Check with quilt guilds as has been mentioned or churches. Many churches here have groups that make charity quilts or meet at the church to make charity quilts or senior centers. They might be able to help you find someone who would be happy to have your fabric and even pick it up from you.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with health issues.

I would try and contact quilt guilds in your area. I belong to a guild here in New England. While we have only met twice in person outside since this pandemic started we do meet via zoom and are still doing Charity quilts. Perhaps you can find a still active guild near you that would be tickled to help you out with the stash.
I had a very good group but they've been gone since the pandemic. Then a Christian lady wanted some for her church if she pick out the biggest and best pieces of yardage. It may all end up at Goodwill....over 30 lbs.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:21 PM

The groups I know of aren't meeting much since the pandemic. I usually give to one group but Ican't get ahold of them. I hope someone will work out and I can help them.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:35 AM

I sent a pm to you.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:59 AM

Hey Lynn, sometimes I see fabric wanted ads from the Portland area from my searches here in Seattle. I too am looking for the local people. This is not a group but a person in Salem who may be very happy to come out and do the pick-up. I know, it's not right next door but I'd think worth the drive if you all could get the coordination done.

https://salem.craigslist.org/wan/d/s...395910645.html

edit/ps: I miss Daisy Kingdom! And the huge place that closed... Also, there was a used book store I think that made the day trip to Portland a full shopping day
Old 11-03-2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z View Post
I'm almost not a quilter anymore. I have quite a few more tops and quilts to finish so that's my goal for now. I have several health problems so I'm not planning to take on any more new projects any time soon. I am hoping to find a group that makes quilts for forest fire victims, safe houses, etc. People that need a little extra help. Portland claims to be making headway for homeless people. I did my share of that years ago and still have fabric + thread I will never use. I can't drive anymore and the group I was helping has been shut down since the pandemic started. Good fabric stores are getting scarce and fabric is expensive..I used to love Daisy Kingdom! Cotton is all in good condition but smells like my warehouse...never washed. I want to be sure it's going in hands that can use for a good cause.

Per Mr. Google, NorthWest Quilters, Portland, say they do local charitable quilting 503 765-5910