Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-05-2021, 02:47 AM

Just as Iceblossom…I need to get my Frolic top quilted and bound. I have had it finished for over a year but I kept thinking about adding an additional border to make it a bit larger. I pulled it out earlier this week and decided to skip the border and just get it loaded but now I am having trouble finding the right backing.

Still pondering this year’s BH mystery but love this thread and reading what’s going on.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:18 AM

I really appreciate people helping with things like the paint chip line (Valspar, at Lowes)!

I agree with the comments about neutrals, unfortunately for me I've been using up most of my white on whites and cream on creams, as well as my palest or low contrast stuff. I used only white on white in the Grassy Creek quilt last time and I know I don't have much left. While I do have a lot of white/light backgrounds (especially with pink bits) this time it looks like I'm using white solid. I always have some in my stash and then when I was trying to stick to solids, I bought a few more yards. At least they were on sale! Now that they are bought, they need to be used.

Looking at Bonnie's color chips, one of them is Raspberry Sorbet. Which means my first song associated with this project is Prince's Raspberry Beret... but that's my problem Also in my front yard I have peonies -- one of which is Raspberry Sorbet! There's plenty of pictures of them out there, but since I bought mine from Spring Hill catalog and since I already mentioned the paint chips, here's a picture from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spring-Hill...ony/1002648092

Old 11-05-2021, 08:09 AM

NZ -- If I understand your question, I think you can divide this top into Dark (Garnet), Medium Dark (the Pinks), Medium Light (Yellow) and Light (Neutral) but the hard to prepare for would be the Aqua. She says though we can wait until the last to make up our mind, and maybe the answer is Accent fabric that has everything!!

I went more with value and used a wide range of colors on my Frolic top, but the fabrics were all of a type (hand dyes). For example we basically had two blue paint chips a dark and a light, and I had dark set of purple-blue-green and one light set of a similar color range but I kept the colors to the same side of the color wheel.

The last two quilts were made using sets of fabric, that is we would make XX units of the same combinations and combine them into a single block, with different blocks made of different combinations. If we have the same sort of combinations this time, I think you could have both dark maroon and dark green as well as other colors too -- but I think it would be challenging. If the design is more scattered, it could be lost going strictly on value and not color.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:46 AM

I decided to change the pink to orange, as I have a whole lot more of that. All the oranges are the same value as the yellows, so I don't know how that's going to work out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I am also considering changing the aqua to green, but again, that's a wait and see kind of thing.

I spent the past few days cleaning up after piecing a queen-sized top - not enough room to quilt the thing unless I cleared out some space. Turns out I have a ton of cream scraps, so I'm going to see how much of that I can use up. Not to worry, there are a whole lot more where they came from.

I'm trying to upload a photo - wish me luck. I'm not sure if it will work.

Jan
Old 11-05-2021, 01:05 PM

I always enjoy reading everyone’s comments. I do plan to stay up with this project this year. I may rearrange the layout out a bit at the reveal, but I will try to follow as much as I can.

Anyway, I have decided I’m going to change the pinks to lavender & purple; the yellow to a green, (to match a color in my floral); the burgundy color to dark, dark blue (one piece); And keep the tourques as tourques (2 colors that reads almost as 1 color, so it just may work. (Again I’m short 1/4 yard). I got my colors from a floral print I have been wanting to use for years (over 10 years). I really love the fabric. So a few months ago I began slowly looking through my stash and found several pieces that would go with this print. It will be a very controlled scrappy. I am missing 1/4 yard on having enough of my background fabric, so I’m look for 1-2 yards to coordinate if what I have is not enough. My game plan was to only use one fabric color here. I will post pics later this weekend. And ask for comments.

- have fun stash and shopping everyone.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:31 PM

well....I pulled out some old CD's today. And I am rocking now to ABBA! umm...got me thinking...why don't I put together a play list to rock to while doing this mystery! That should make those blocks fly. so ABBA is on my list, Neil Diamond, maybe even John Denver, Dixie Chicks, Anne Murry, some local folks. Sara Thompson, willow green. and Eva Cassidy (most of her albums were released after her death at a young age (33) from melanoma.) umm...I will have to dig some of those old CD's Been years since I have listened to some of them.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:25 PM

SuzSLO, your Grassy Creek is wonderful! I love the changes you made.

I've done many of Bonnie's mysteries - my first was Carolina Christmas. Some remain UFO's. One will probably never be finished, I really don't like the colors or the finale. Although I often change the colors, for that one, I really wanted to stretch myself to use bright colors Bonnie suggested. Blocks are all done, sashing is made, 3 rows together and there it stays.

This year, my challenge is to use only one fabric for each color! Since all of those years ago when I did my first BH quilt, I've never done only one fabric for any color in any quilt again. Now, using only one seems hard. The only thing I am not settled on is my dark. I have 2 blues that I am considering. I will be using a variety of neutrals - I have a lot of them after seeing how fun it is to really mix them up and find the unexpected.

Is anyone else thinking that we'll be string piecing neutrals? It's a huge amount of yardage. When I was first introduced to string piecing, I really didn't like it. Now that I realize how much depth it adds, I love it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Floral 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	636268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Floral.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	636269  
Old 11-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Oooh, those are gorgeous, peaceandjoy! Love, love, love the second blue (right hand photo). Single fabrics with scrappy neutrals sounds great.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Oooh, those are gorgeous, peaceandjoy! Love, love, love the second blue (right hand photo). Single fabrics with scrappy neutrals sounds great.
I agree. The blue in the 2nd photo is gorgeous. More interesting than the other blue, which might be a little less safe. Peace and joy, is the blue going to be your aqua?
Old 11-05-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
craft, I think it means avoid yellowish and darker neutrals because they won't contrast well with the yellow fabric.
So would using whites, off whites, and a very light cream fall into this color line?
Craft