Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Backing >
  • Quilt Backing

• Quilt Backing

Old 10-07-2021, 01:49 AM
    Banned

I do a mix of everything! I use wide quilt backing, but I tend to save that for quilts that cost more for the top fabric or are a bit more complicated. I also have a stash of fabric that I bought when it was on close-out at JoAnn's and there was enough left on the bolt to piece together for a back. For scrappy quilts, I'll piece together two or three different fabrics from my stash. Finally, I'll sometimes go to JoAnn's and find something special for a quilt.
    Old 10-07-2021, 04:11 AM

I try to always use wide fabric for the back. But, I have learned to be very careful with the quality of the fabric though and open the fabric completely so I can see a single layer of the fabric. I first look for the color I want, then quality. Poor quality? I pass on the fabric even if the color is perfect. Just yesterday, I could not find the best color and ended up with 45" batik. It is lovely, perfect color but I will need to return to buy more becasue I did not calculate correctly and don;t have enough for the binding. That seldom happens with the wide backs. Always enough leftovers for binding and a little bit of scrap to add to my stash.
    Old 10-07-2021, 04:38 AM

I like to get wide backing if I can find for a reasonable price. I shop BackSide Fabrics often for their sale and bargain backs (remnant pieces) usually buy blender prints in colors I like. I also look for fabric on sale usually $5 or $6 dollars a yard and like quiltsRfun am building a stash of backing fabrics.
    Old 10-07-2021, 06:11 AM

I love wide backings. I look around to see who has the best prices at the time for the top I have finished. Marshall's Dry Goods usually has a great selection and good prices. I have not had a problem with the quality of the fabrics either.
    I rarely piece together a backing. I have one now that has entered my UFO box because I just can't get it right. It is pieced.
    There are a number of options available for backing fabrics. I believe the backing is as important as the top so quality and proper fit are important to me.
    Old 11-06-2021, 07:21 PM
    Banned

Have you tried Silk for Quilt? It was surely popular https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/silk
    Old 11-07-2021, 05:25 AM
    mkc

S@ifeeWeave5's post above is spam! Do NOT click the link! Reported.
    Old 11-07-2021, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by mkc
    S@ifeeWeave5's post above is spam! Do NOT click the link! Reported.
    No, it is not - https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/silk is to an article from the Smithsonian about silk. It also has a picture of a log cabin quilt made in silk as well as a crazy quilt. Also some info about silk and picture of silk factory.

ETA original post by S@ifeeWeave5
    Have you tried Silk for Quilt? It was surely popular https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/silk
    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-07-2021 at 06:04 AM.
    Old 11-07-2021, 07:07 AM

Default more thoughts on quilt backings

While I think pieced backings can look good when using an allover quilting pattern, I have found that they don't work well with custom quilting. I have tried them a couple times and it's nearly impossible to coordinate the quilted lines with the blocks on the back. For example, if you quilt in the ditch somewhere on the front, the quilted stitches on the back inevitably are crooked or slanted in relation to the blocks on the back.

I have used both 108" and 45" fabric for backing. The choice really depends on the pattern and color I can find. I tend to use mostly reproduction/civil war fabrics for my quilts and have difficulty finding wide backing in those prints.
    Old 11-07-2021, 07:59 AM

In the days bygone, I use to use the 44” fabric for backing. 2 or 3 strips sewn together. Now I only use the 108” or even the 120” fabrics. Especially if you’re taking your quilt to a longarm quilter.
    Old 11-07-2021, 08:15 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    No, it is not - https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/silk is to an article from the Smithsonian about silk.
    My apologies - it was the first post of a new member with barely more than a link in it - unfortunately having the characteristics of classic spam on this group.

Again, my apologies to the poster.