Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric amount >

Fabric amount

Fabric amount

Old 11-07-2021, 09:48 AM

Default Fabric amount

Can anyo e tell me how many jelly rolls I woul need to make king size quilt using a 14 inch block
Old 11-07-2021, 11:08 AM

If you use 7 blocks of width and 8 of length, a quilt with 14" blocks will require 56 blocks. The most simple pattern would use 7 strips per block for a total of 392 14 1/2" strips. Of course, 3 14 1/2 inch strips per WOF strip is pretty optimistic. It would require that the WOF be almost 44", If you are lucky and can get 3 pieces per WOF strip you will need 392 pieces, which breaks down to 131 WOF strips or over 3 jelly rolls. If you can only get 2 pieces per WOF strip you will need 5 jelly rolls. I am assumming 40 strips per jelly roll.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:18 AM

Easiest way is to look for a jelly roll quilt pattern that comes in different sizes where the creator has already done the math for you...How many you need is dependent of the specific pattern as the more seams there are the more jelly rolls it is going to take. You can also sometimes add to the fabric from your own stash if you have something that will fit in nicely. I have done that when I have been a little short on Jelly rolls. If you have a pattern for a twin sized quilt and want to make a king sized quilt, you can count the number of blocks in the twin sized one and then figure out how many blocks you will need for the king sized ones and add in the number of jelly rolls you will need.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:35 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you want a jelly roll race quilt, you will need six. The instructions are here:

https://pdf4pro.com/view/how-to-scal...st-1469a0.html