Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with machine binding >

Help with machine binding

Help with machine binding

Old 11-10-2021, 12:05 PM

Question Help with machine binding

I'm so behind on putting binding on my quilts that I've decided to try putting them on with my machine, but I have several questions.

1. Do I sew the binding on the front or the back? (I've done both.)
2. When I get ready to fold the binding over the raw edge of the quilt, how do I figure out how to align so the stitching doesn't show very much? (it usually looks good on one side but a little off on the other.)
3. Should I use a straight stitch or a zig-zag stitch? (I've done both, but not sure which is better.)
4. Is there an easier way? I'm open to any easy suggestions.

All the quilts are donations, but I'd like them to look nice for the recipients.
Thanks in advance.

dee
Old 11-10-2021, 12:11 PM

Dee, I can't offer any suggestions but I'll be watching this thread. Hubby and I had quite the discussion just a day or so ago as I've been finishing up this project for his Aunt Debbie. I don't like the hand work, I'm super slow at it, and it is increasingly difficult with my vision issue, but so far the machine sew on front, fold over to the back and blind stitch (complete with continuous mitered binding) is my preferred finish.

I told him some of the other ways to do it, but also that I've never been really happy with my workmanship. I've seen other people who do a fantastic job, but as I say, it does not rank high in my skill set...
Old 11-10-2021, 12:18 PM

Hadn't thought about the blind stitch! Thanks for the suggestion, but do you stitch on the front or the back?
Old 11-10-2021, 12:28 PM

I make the double fold continuous bias binding, machine sew on the front, and then flip to the back and blind stitch by hand. Among other benefits, doing it from the front typically gives the better mitered corner, you can make up any issues on the bank.

I don't cut off my backing until all the quilting is done and the binding is on, then I use the stitch line as my guide for how high to trim the remainder. My typical binding cut is wider than most, I generally start at 3" for a twin or queen sized project and I've gone up from there. Cutting at 3.5" today! I think most?? people cut around 2.5" and I know a few that like 2.25".

One of the things I've learned from board members is I no longer press my bindings in half before putting on. If I have to store them for awhile (it can often be years before the poor tops get quilted/finished), I wrap them around a piece of cardboard -- which also lets me measure it pretty well (just count wraps around the length of cardboard, which I typically cut at 18" so one full wrap is a yard). I soft fold them together when I pin the binding to the front of the quilt. By not pressing them, (a) I save a bunch of time and I happen to hate ironing, and (b) it allows for a better edge to allow for the thickness of the batting and folding the fabric.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

The only machine binding I am happy with is “Quick Machine binding with flange” that Charisma did a QB tutorial on. You make the two toned double binding and sew it to the back of the quilt. You then flip the binding to the front and with thread that matches your backing and (complicates the flange) you top stitch along the flange. If the thread matches the backing well, the extra row of stitching matches right in.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:03 PM

I do most of my bindings by machine. Most of my quilts are meant to by used, washed, and dried. I use my walking foot a lot of the time. I stitch the binding to the back using a 1/4 inch seam (I cut my binding 2.5 inches and fold in half) then I pull to the front (most of the time, I don't even pin) and try and get the fold just a little bit past the stitch line from attaching the binding to the back. And I use a serpentine stitch. On my Bernina, I have a couple of stitches that are serpentine...and I adjust the length and width of the stitch until I get something I like. It has been a while since I finished a quilt...but I did find a note that was attached to my machine that said I used either stitch 1317 with adjusted width of 3.0 and length of 7.2 or stitch 4 adjusted to width of 2.5 and length of 1.10. The stitch just makes a gentle curving. It takes a little bit of practice and experimenting to get to look fine. I usually line up the edge of the fold with the inner left side of my walking foot and most of the time, it aligns fairly well on both the front and back. The corners can be a bit tricky to get to line up so you don't see the stitching on the backing but now I have mostly gotten the hang of it. I do stop about 1/4 inch from the corner when making that mitered corner, fold the diagonal and start stitching down the new side. Not all machines have a serpentine like stitch and I would probably use a zig-zag
Old 11-10-2021, 01:07 PM

I've tried machine binding and never happy with the results. Didn't like the results since I was never able to hide the stitching when I flipped it over. Now I just sew the binding on the front and flip to the back. Just gives a small pop of color on the edge of the quilt. If I want a larger "pop of color" I sew on the back and flip to the front. I like hand sewing the binding down. Last part of the construction process until it gets tossed into the washer/drier and then out the door.

Sew the binding down any way you want. As Karen Brown says, "just get it done!"

Old 11-10-2021, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info! Everyone has given me something to think about! I appreciate each of you for sharing your ideas!
Old 11-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Banned

I don't usually machine bind, but when I do, I make a continuous bias binding, attach it to the back, fold it to the front, and straight stich as close to the edge as possible. I then go back over that stitching with a decorative stitch.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:16 PM

This is more or less how I used to do my machine binding. I've done
so many that now I don't even bother with the glue. I do it by feel.
https://blog.lellaboutique.com/2020/...quilt-binding/