Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-15-2021, 04:38 AM

For those who are looking for the folded corner ruler(s) QIAD has them on sale today.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...67aba-34277457
Old 11-15-2021, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, Lisa. I just ordered it.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:02 AM

Yes, Thanks. I ordered one too. Not sure I needed another ruler but this one looks like it will be handy especially for BH mysteries.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:29 AM

I am not feeling the need for another ruler but am considering it -- she does use this one regularly. I usually use my own techniques of cutting large, pressing open, and trimming down but I really appreciate Bonnie's clear directions and would like to consider following her techniques one of these times. Maybe not this time, but I am thinking about it.

I found the piece of "garnet with sprays of lilacs" in an unsorted box, and really dark one hiding in the box of brown, so now I have 4 fabrics. I might still just go with one of the two first pulls.

Since I'm posting pictures anyway, here's the finished back. There are true royal purples that don't really fit in but work with the others. I have achieved my goal of using enough solid fabrics that the lid fits better

Oh yes -- another chore to do, when I took the picture of the back I had to look twice to tell whether that was my husband's head print on the wall or my shadow. Ewww, his head print... LOL, I remember back in my 20s when I thought painting a room was no big deal, those days are gone.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6242.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	837.1 KB
ID:	636457   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6234.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	957.6 KB
ID:	636458  
Old 11-16-2021, 05:34 AM

I'm looking forward to starting this mystery. Since I know I've got a lot of the colors in my stash, I'm not going to pull anything ahead of time, and just pull and sew for each clue. I've got too many quilts already in progress with fabric pulled and piled all over, don't want to add more to my mess. I had planned on getting a few of them done, but got distracted making christmas throw size quilts (love playing with christmas fabric!).
Old 11-16-2021, 05:46 AM

Most of those folk sayings are horribly outdated, i.e. ".....the horse before the cart."

Ice Blossom, you surely have finished the handsome backing before the top.

You are decidedly forward before the rest of us! The count down until launching 10 ,
Old 11-16-2021, 05:52 AM

Macybaby, aka Cathy, your avatar quilt! Wow! I love it. I get it about having piles of this and that. I am taking a virtual class tomorrow evening on making a wool wreath. Have to get the kit they sent me and sort through to make sure I have everything. I have plastic bins of bits and pieces. Once the mystery starts I wont have time for anything else.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:36 PM

With the river of rain we've had out here we've been holding up pretty well all and all -- but yesterday the power was out for about 6 hours. Today the internet/cable/tv/phone have been out from 6:30-1:30 and just came back on. Wanted to restate that if anyone has any links (including the official ones) that need to be added to the thread, you don't need to wait for me! We're all in this together. At least the power stayed on and I was able to have coffee... and right now it is lovely outside and am enjoying no rain.

With the internet/tv still off after my Tuesday group I was able to finish my pieced bindings. I made about 20" extra which I think is in the "just right", not too much and not too little category
Old 11-16-2021, 04:32 PM

Iceblossom, I love your backing!

I've seen comments from people who are heartbroken if they can't get the same fabric line for backings - and will go so far as to not finish a quilt bc the fabric won't be "the same". I'm more of a "if it's the same color family or close to something, it's good" kind of backer. And as I normally make scrappy style quilts - with lots and lots of different fabrics, even if they are cut from yardage rather than being true scraps - I have lots of colors to choose from, lol. Get it out and use it up.

I hadn't realized you were in the Pacific Northwest. Some of the news reports are terrible! Hope that your power stays on and that you don't have damage.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:43 PM

I’m debating if I’m want to make a small version (twin ot smaller) top following exactly how Bonnie gives directions, and then use my lovely fabric I chose several months ago after the big reveal. I will call the 1st small version “BHMQ pink oh pink rhododendrons. And mine colors the regular name. I have pulled out most of the pink version, but lack about a 1/2 yard of the yellow scraps. I still have a few more places to look for my scraps. I have all of the other amounts. I may just go with what I have. See how far I get. I plan to make this a twin size or however large my stash will make. My fabric is washed and I ready to go.

IceBlossom, I like your backing and colors. I’m wondering what size did you make your backing and what size you plan to make your quilt top. I have pulled 2 pieces of fabric I plan to use for my backing. Unsure how large to cut them. I’m also thinking on cutting them into 12.5’ squares and alternate the blocks and sew together. I have 2-3 months to decide on that issue. Like everyone else I’m so excited about this project.