Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not tech savy >

Not tech savy

Not tech savy

Old 11-21-2021, 04:32 AM

Default Not tech savy

I'm not tech savy at all...still having problems using my cell phone that is two months old. All of my children live out of state and aren't able to help me with questions. I've been noticeing on posts and blogs that women are downloading their quilt and cross stitch patterns to laptops and enlarging the patterns there so that they can see them better. Great idea! For those of you that do this, what king of laptop do you use. Will a Kindle work? Can you download to that and enlarge the pattern or must it be a laptop? I'm wanting to do some cross stitch on table runners etc., and need all the help I can get.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:19 AM

My sister uses a kindle only and she can read her emails, send files to her printer downstairs using wifi. I know I've sent a photo from my cellphone to my pc as well as to my sister with no problem. Guess you need to have internet to get email on your cellphone and then send it to your email on your kindle. I'm not real savy either. I seem to know just enough abut computer stuff to keep me in trouble.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:40 AM

I am not very good at all this modern computer stuff either. I have noticed that with my new printer that is wireless I can print stuff from my cell phone without having to transfer the document....at least I think I recall having done that....don't ask me how to do it. If I don't do it often, I have no idea how I did it. sometimes I google stuff and find a you tube on how to do it.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:14 AM

I'm not a techie, but will share my experience:

Will a Kindle work? It depends on the Kindle. Mine is too old to do anything but read books. It doesn't have enough memory to load the new browser. If you have a new and expensive one, it probably will. Kindle is a weird bird, so I'm not sure.

Kindle is in the category of a tablet. The Kindle is proprietary to Amazon and has their operating system.My feeling is that the Kindle is mostly for reading electronic books. Tablets have no keyboard and is mostly for quick communication like emails, facetime and Facebook.They usually take photos as well. I only have the old Kindle, so someone else will have to flesh out the rest of the information on talblets.

There are lots of companies other than Amazon that make tablets. The Kindle is tied to Amazon by it's operating system, but other tablets are not.

Can you download to that and enlarge the pattern or must it be a laptop? A laptop works exactly like a full size computer, so you can do all the same things you can do on a computer and vice versa. You can download patterns and enlarge them just like you can on your desktop.

You didn't ask this question, but you will probably encounter it as you look....What is a Chromebook? It's an inexpensive laptop that has has a proprietary operating system. They were originally made by Google, although other makers are making them now with the Google operating system.. The ones I've seen and used don't have a disk drive, so everything must be downloaded. If you don't mind being monitored by Google, it might be an option.

I would try downloading a pattern to your desktop and enlarging it. If you like the results, except that it's not portable, then look into your tablet or laptop options.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 11-21-2021 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 11-21-2021, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

The best way to know how to do something with the tech is to Google how do I ________________ on a _______________. There is always an answer. A laptop is made for files and photos. There are some good sales right now. You don't need a fancy one, just a basic laptop. You can zoom and see your family anytime, just like facetime on the phone but much better. Kindle Fire is a tablet. You can download pdfs, take pictures, read email, listen to music, watch movies, browse internet, and read book. Kindle 8 is an excellent buy right at $45. I use a laptop the ease of it and the Kindle fire for portability.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:09 AM

I don't use my cell phone for down loads or purchases due to the size of screen. Everything is just too small. The other issue may be storage capacity on the phone.

I use a laptop and down load the files as needed to the down load folder. If the file is zipped, do a right click and "extract all". This function makes another folder with the information. That folder is then moved to the correct portable hard drive unit. I have 2 separate ones that almost mirror all files.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:42 AM

I'm fairly tech savvy but increasingly vision impaired.

The low tech option of printing off and enlarging/making hard copies on a copier remain. I use my local office supply store (in my case it is Staples) often for quilting related purposes. There is a self serve work station area with a computer, with copiers and printers and various options. You can use memory sticks or laptops or tablets or even cell phones to transfer your data. You might need to buy a USB or other cable if you don't have the right connections -- good thing is they also have those. In my store, although they are often quite busy the staff is willing to walk you through the things you need to do. You should at least know where the file is (in your files, on line, etc) and what you want to do, whether that is to enlarge "just" to see/read or if you want to make a 3" block into a 5" block and how you want to do that.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:46 AM

I just learned how to air drop photos from my I Phone to my Mac computer. My husband helped me but If I don't keep doing it , I will forget.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:42 PM

I too struggle with a computor, and l don't own a smartphone, but l l♡ve my Samsung tablet! You can increase the size of anything you look at by placing 2 fingers together on screen then sliding them appart! You can do most of the things your laptop can do, only way faster! Go to you local Best Buy ( or similar) store and get a salesperson to show you in person. Buying something off internet will have you confused with no idea how to use it. The staff at these stores can help you set up accounts and anwer questions in order to get what will suit you within your budget. Once set up, you can get assistance from the browser ( search engine) of your tablet.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:34 AM

A Chromebook or a Kindle fire tablet would be able to enlarge a PDF for you to view on screen.

Do you have internet or Wi-Fi at your house where you could use the internet and download patterns?

If you have community education in your area, check out the classes they offer. My local community ed catalog often includes "tech classes for the tech challenged". I love the library. Also offers assistance with devices from time to time.