Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Mashed Potatoes Tips >

Mashed Potatoes Tips

Mashed Potatoes Tips

Old 11-27-2021, 09:45 AM

I was always taught that the reason mashed potaoes got gummy and pasty was from being overworked and that you should only use a potato masher, never an electric mixer.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
I was always taught that the reason mashed potaoes got gummy and pasty was from being overworked and that you should only use a potato masher, never an electric mixer.
maybe that was then. Sometimes the “I was always taught” outcome changes with time, experience, different ingredients etc. For example “I was always taught to press seams to the dark fabric”. But I experimented and like to press them open instead. Some professional quilters also now press open. I think it is good to be open to something and maybe try it. Can always go back to the other way.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
I was taught that too and I have to agree with that lesson. I also use a masher. Some people like to use a ricer, but I do fine with the masher. It leaves tiny lumps in the mashed potatoes and I kinda like that.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:04 PM

A simple masher is a lot easier to clean up too! Somethings are better done manually
Old 11-27-2021, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Reporting in. We had our turkey meal tonight. My part is the turkey and the mashed potatoes. I did use the kitchen aid paddle and the potatoes were russets. I used some of the the potato water and a lot of butter. Also salt and white pepper because we like it. Many compliments on both. The paddle was not hard to wash. Also the turkey came out great. Moist and delicious. Sometimes another method will work well too.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:02 PM

I add butter, sour cream, and a rounded teaspoon of horseradish per serving. Great with steak!

For sweet potatoes, I mix equal part butter, lemon juice, and maple syrup and heat it up to dissolve the butter. Also good to baste on the skin of chicken when baking.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I like to add cream cheese to mashed potatoes. I prefer to use old fashioned red potatoes.